Fly Fusion Forums

Free Kids Fly Fishing School By Canada's Greats

Fly Fishing Canada and The Canadian Fly Fisher are offering a free fly fishing school for kids on the weekend of September 26, 27 during the Fly Fishing Canada National Fly Fishing Championships in Fernie, BC. The focus will be twofold: getting kids started in fly fishing with a dynamic experience on the Elk River, one of Canada’s blue ribbon fly fishing streams, and providing expert instruction to help kids who already fly fish to improve their skills. Instruction will be provided by the coaches and Captain of the Canadian Youth Fly Fishing Team and other expert Canadian fly fishers, including The Canadian Fly Fisher staff.

How kids can register:

Send the following information by snail mail or e-mail to info@canflyfish.com

• Your name and address:

• Your Age (to be eligible, kids must be under 17 as of Sept. 30, 2009).

• In no more than 250 words tell us about yourself—whether or not you’ve fly fished before and, if you have, where and to what extent. Also, tell us why you’d like to attend the workshop and why fly fishing is important to you.

Program for Youth Fly Fishing School will be as follows:

Saturday 9:00am to 12:00pm: Classroom instruction and fly casting

Saturday 2:00 to 5:00pm: On the water instruction on the Elk River

Sunday 10:00 to 4:00: On the water instruction at Summit Lake (shore fishing)

(Waders /rods/reels/lines/flies will be available for twelve students - equipment supplied by Fly Kid Foundation - students are encouraged to bring their own gear if they have any)

Here's a link to CFF's website for more information: http://www.canflyfish.com/2009/kids2009.asp

Just wanted to add that we will have our eyes open for prospective kids to represent Canada at future youth world championships, Slovakia in 2010, Italy 2011, and South Africa has the only bid for 2012 thus far.

So if your interested in becoming a future team member come on out and we'll get you on the right track.

If any of you know any youth whom are involved in the sport please pass this on to them.

John Bransfield

fruinn,

the kids have gotta be 12 years old or older. Were trying to catch em' in that preteen-teen years get em' involved in the sport and try and give them some training, so maybe if some get interested they might like to try out for the youth team. If not we at least have given them a taste for the outdoors and introduced them to the sport.

John

fruinn,

the kids have gotta be 12 years old or older. Were trying to catch em' in that preteen-teen years get em' involved in the sport and try and give them some training, so maybe if some get interested they might like to try out for the youth team. If not we at least have given them a taste for the outdoors and introduced them to the sport.

John

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Bump its getting closer! Tell any young anglers you know!

Hey John,

My grandson, Ryan Smart filled out an application and e-mailed it from my pc about a week ago, and we haven't heard back yet. When would we know if he is accepted?

Thanks,

Dick Seymour

John,

Just a word of advice, I do not know if you have it included or not but I would get release forms and medical forum, we use to have to do that all the time when I coached football basically it is covering your own ass.

Also I would have on hand a crimal record (if any) report (you can go down to any cop shop and for $25 get a print out) of anyone that would be working with the kids.

This is a standard thing with Calgary Bantam Football Association and Calgary and Area Pee-Wee and Atom Football Assoication and was something the league laywers made part of the league rules.

These are just suggestions and would hate to see one bad parent or kid ruin it for everyone else.

Hey bhurt,

Thanks for the heads up and advice! I will definitely have to head down to the police station and get that sounds like a good thing to have around anyway. I'm not sure if FFC has release forms but it sounds like something i should make a call about tonight. Thanks for the advice man it is much appreciated!

Dick,

Im not sure if Ryan has been accepted I believe the Canadian fly fisher staff is in charge of registration, but I will make a few phone calls this weekend and see what I can drum up for you two!

John

John,

Another thing you might want to look into is some type of insurance, check with sports canada if fly fishing falls under their insurance plan, as wit sports only cost $25 personally we make our players pay for it before they step on the feild, now this mind you is with contact sports but you don't want to have a kid slip and break something or worst drown and you have no insurance and the parents have nothing either.