Fly Fusion Forums

Forestry Closed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta ask Lynn - in the absence of a fire ban would you have your trailer parked out there all summer long? Opposed to the random campers that set up shop for a summer, as long as ther aren't you? I\m just asking....

Lynn and family park their RV at Racehorse Creek Campground for a fee . They know better than to hog a random campsite for the summer. I'm wondering how the squatting random campers will get there rigs out. If they get a permit to get out I hope they get an earful from Sustainable Resources on how the Forest Reserve is set aside for ALL Albertans and that they don't have the right to claim a spot their own for longer than 2 weeks. Wishful thinking...

Thanks Mr. B.

Castor...I am opposed to random camping AS IT IS RIGHT NOW. The utter abuse and disregard for the land and others is deplorable. However, should the government implement a policy that would control random camping (i.e. enforce the 14 day maximum stay and charge user fees as they do down in parts of the U.S. and fine those who are destroying the land and leaving behind their crap - sometimes literally) then I would have no problem with it. But right now it's just a free for all. I've written my fair share of letters on this, and will continue to do so, so I'm not just blowing hot air.

We random camped a few times many years ago and we quit because of all the yahoos and all the damage that was being caused. I wasn't willing to be a part of that, even if it was just driving our trailer over a rut in the land, making it worse.

And as Mr. B. said, we park our trailer at Racehorse Creek in a designated permanent camping spot (as approved between an agreement with Rocky Mountain Camping and the government). And we pay a substantial fee to park there which, I hope, goes back into the resource which we use.

Oh and Mr. B - here's one for ya. As Mike was standing in line for his permit, the guy in front of him said "I have 5 rigs to get out of there today and I don't have a clue how I'm gonna do it in one day". Kinda hard to feel sorry for him huh?

Hey Lonefisher,

Thanks for the suggestions re Waiporous. We spent some time exploring the different areas north that we could go to, but it just doesn't seem like the answer. If nothing else, we realize one thing out of all this - it's really not all about the fishing. It's about being where you want to be. Down south is our "second home". We love it there...and no place else really feels the same - know what I mean? Other than the interior of B.C. for Mike, there's really no other place we want to be, so we'll just wait it out and see what happens. Bottom line is that I certainly don't want to be stuck somewhere where me and my family are not safe, so we'll deal with it. And if we have to spend 10 days fishing the Bow catching big trout, then I guess I'll just have to suck it up :lol: