Fly Fusion Forums

Buds For Buddies

Hey guys.

I am a big fan of this forum. Learned a lot from here. I into flyfishing a few years ago.I am also the proud man of being raised by a single mom. She was a great mom, but always wanted to go out fishing but didn't have the chance.Now I am into it. Made me think about the other little guys out there that might need a chance to get out on the river. What do you guys think? Can we organize something? Could you take an extra little guy out with you. If you can I'll try to organize it.

Great idea, 4reel! Should be some huge karma points for everyone who gets involved in this.

Yesterday, I took my neighbors' 10-year old son & my 12-year old daughter out fishing for the evening; we all had fun, & karma rewarded me with

a 25" brown trout on my 6ft 2wt TFO!!! Usually karma takes a little longer than that to pay a fella back!

I'll be interested to see where this idea goes; thanks for throwing it out there, 4reel!

Later,

Steve

I think it's a good idea but I think it would be best to run through an established organization like Big Brothers, Big Sisters and the like as these organizations have credibility where as a group from here may be deemed suspect, imagine what would make parents of these kids feel better; something from a reputable organization or a group from this board which probably most have not heard of. A few of us have done stuff with kids through outings organizied by Micheal Gelina (Rockdodger) that seemed to be a hit with the kids. Perhaps if Mike reads this he could provide some more direction on this type of thing.

I think it's a good idea but I think it would be best to run through an established organization like Big Brothers, Big Sisters and the like as these organizations have credibility where as a group from here may be deemed suspect, imagine what would make parents of these kids feel better; something from a reputable organization or a group from this board which probably most have not heard of. A few of us have done stuff with kids through outings organizied by Micheal Gelina (Rockdodger) that seemed to be a hit with the kids. Perhaps if Mike reads this he could provide some more direction on this type of thing.

You have a point there, Flytyer. I felt kinda uncomfortable offering to take the neighbor kid fishing yesterday; I couldn't help thinking, "I sure wouldn't send my 10-year old out in the woods with a 45-year old man that I've only known for a few months!" I felt much better when my daughter decided to come, as well.

excellent point flytyer! didnt even think of that! hell i musta got lucky! use too tag along all over b.c. n alberta with whoever watned too take me fishin! and slay trout we did! but i see how running this with a major reputable group would be much more legite! and not to sketchy!

5 or 6 years ago, I was involved in a deal like this.

It was called "Hooked for Life" and was aimed at single moms whose kids didn't get a chance to go fishing.

It was started at the SL hatchery and ended up on the river. I don't really know who organized it, but the hatchery, Hook and Hackle club and a bunch of guides were involved.

I think Nancy at Fish Tales was some how involved. This could be resurrected fairly easily I think if someone was interested.

I know trout unlimited canada, and alberta sustainable resources just did a HUGE dinner in support of a new childrens catch and release pond going in at the sam livingston hatchery. Was called the Kids Can Katch, might be worth it to see if some of the local guides could donate some time teaching some kids from big brothers/sisters a day of fly fishing on the pond. At the very least youd get great media coverage id imagine

Keep in mind guys undergoing a background check prior to engaging in a project like this is highly recommended and in my opinion should be mandatory. As for bringing this to media attention I would suggest contacting admin on this first.