Fly Fusion Forums

South Of The Border

Keith

I finally pulled off a trip I've been planning for a couple of years to scout some of the famous waters south of the border and to get my bearings in some of the areas down there. One of my best buddies came along with me. The trip ended up being as much of a driving trip as a fishing trip, but I enjoyed it none the less. My three goals for the trip were to catch a decent fish on the Blackfoot on a dry, to catch a Snake River Fine-spotted Cutt, and catch a Yellowstone Cutt. All three goals were met and many good sights were seen along the way. Most of the cutties I caught were on the smallish side, but they were beautiful fish. I would highly recommend that folks take a trip down there to see these waters from yourself. Definitely some pros and cons vs Alberta waters. I find their milder weather produces more bugs and generally more surface action, but the crowds can be tough to take.

We started out on the Blackfoot and at the fly shop we were told that an intense Stonefly hatch was coming off. They said it was the second hatch of the year and that they never have one this late. Sometimes you get lucky. I've never seen more salmonflies in my life. It got to the point that I couldn't stand them crawling around in my collar and in my hair.

post-1981-1249016225.jpg

post-1981-1249016253.jpg

Down into Wyoming we began hunting for their native Cutts. Like our Westslopes they aren't shy and they are generally looking up. I think the the Snake River Fine-spotted is the finest looking fish I've ever landed. The Yellowstone cutt looks a lot like a Westslope except for darker honey tones and spots below the lateral line.

post-1981-1249016488.jpg

We also had a stop by Silver Creek in Idaho, but we didn't have the time to spend there that we would have liked. The trico hatch that came off is one of the thickest hatches I've witnessed.

post-1981-1249016749.jpg

Really nice photo's Keith , thats a trip I wouldn't mind doing myself.

Yeah, although this trip had a very high driving to fishing ratio. Next time I will just pick one of the favourite spots from this trip and just go straight there. But I guess you don't know the fav spots until you do the scouting trip.