Fly Fusion Forums

Computer Question

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

What does this mean and what can I clean up off the hard drive to speed up the computer and use less memory?

Thanks for any insights...

Sincerely

My computer is a mess

Unless you are down to very little free space, cleaning the hard drive up is not of much benefit. Defragging the hard drive can increase performance a bit but don't count on too much. What is probably slowing you down more than anything is unneeded programs running in the background aka Spyware/Viruses. Take a look through your add remove programs and remove stuff that you are sure you don't need. Look for programs like "MySearch Assistant" etc...

Install adaware and spybot. Open them up and run the updates on them. Reboot into Safe Mode (press F8 before the windows screen comes up) and run Both Spybot and Ad-Aware. I would also run Housecall from Trend Micro: housecall.trendmicro.com

If all else fails take it in somewhere or call Nerds On Site. I could help you out but I am out of town till next Weds. If you or anyone else needs a hand you can PM me and we can work something out.

Cheers...

Possibly you are running a lot of background program (pick them up over time - normally by accident), have spy ware or even a virus - or worse yet your computer is getting old and needs to be replaced.

Check out this article and see if this helps.

http://www.execulink.com/~impact/HowToClea...ishComputer.htm

Best thing to likely do is take is into a computer shop (even Stapes) and they will do a check, deep virus check and let you know what they recommend.

Sorry to contradict, but DO NOT take it to a shop! You'll pay alot of money for poor/slow service.

Good suggestions so far re: spybot and ad-aware, I would throw in "Advanced SystemCare" by Iobit as well. It's an excellent program and covers alot more stuff.

Failing that, I'd recommend backing up your data to an external harddrive, formatting and reinstalling Windows, and then copying your data back. If you're not comfortable doing that, I can help you out if you'd like. (Or Rufus - technically he beat me to the punch :) )

Hey Birchy,

I kind of took some offence to your comment about not taking it to a shop cause you pay too much and get poor/slow service.

The place I work we do very good work and $40 for a computer clean up is not bad and within a 24hr turn around time (depending on how busy we are at the time) isn't bad at all.

My tech at my store is certified and is not some person off the street and has been in the IT depeartment since the old days of windows 3.11, has all the microsoft certification and has a++ and c++, also he is tainined in setting up main-frames and networks and is constantly doing upgrading so he is up to date with what is happening.

Now you are probably asking why he is working for us if he has alot of certification, simple he's 50 years old and wants to get out of the house and away from his wife.

Oh by the way I work at Staples, and I know how people on this forum like to slam big box compaines with no back-up to their claims, not saying you did birchy but it was sure close to it without saing it.

Sundancefisher..I'm going to give you very sound advice, with the hopes that you will understand ..there are many programs available to u in the web that will clean up unwanted tidbits that you unknowingly have picked up in Ur travels surfing the net..these are known as ..'adware and malware', nasty things that collect info on where you go, what you like, etc., these will slow down ur speed, but can easily be removed, and in my time of using the PC, I've tried them all ..but only one has proved it's weight in gold for me, as I run a "double quad", which I'm sure the chap from staples would know about...however..mine was made for me do to what I use the computer for.

..the adware/malware program I personally use is called..Prevx 3.0, and here is it's link.. http://www.prevx.com/ , Now you mentioned ur 'hard drive' and if you should clean it..well it was mentioned to u to defrag it and that is a good thing because it places all ur files in proper order and makes space for you..this should be done once a week or every other week to be sure..but every three months I clean my hard drive, and that is called ..re-formatting..but before i add whatever Operating System I want to use..I will use a program called ..'killdisk'..I'll run this three complete times, which will strip all my files from the hard drive and make it as it was when it was brand new...the only down fall in doing this is one must make discs of everything you want to keep otherwise, it will be wiped clean.

..Killdisk has a free download that works like a charm, here is it's link.. http://www.killdisk.com/ if you follow the instructions you will not have a problem, then after u clean the drive, then you can insert the OS disc that u use, and follow those instructions...........

..Now if you want you can pay a tech to do all of that for you..........here in Calgary I use..Memory Express..but to each his own..........hope my post has helped you out...................................Wolfie

Hey Birchy,

I kind of took some offence to your comment about not taking it to a shop cause you pay too much and get poor/slow service.

The place I work we do very good work and $40 for a computer clean up is not bad and within a 24hr turn around time (depending on how busy we are at the time) isn't bad at all.

My tech at my store is certified and is not some person off the street and has been in the IT depeartment since the old days of windows 3.11, has all the microsoft certification and has a++ and c++, also he is tainined in setting up main-frames and networks and is constantly doing upgrading so he is up to date with what is happening.

Now you are probably asking why he is working for us if he has alot of certification, simple he's 50 years old and wants to get out of the house and away from his wife.

Oh by the way I work at Staples, and I know how people on this forum like to slam big box compaines with no back-up to their claims, not saying you did birchy but it was sure close to it without saing it.

Only reason I recommended Staples is they really looked after my dad good. He knows nothing about computers other than his was acting up and he could no longer save music. He took it in for a virus scan and clean up and to add more memory. They took the computer did as he asked but told him his computer was not worth updating - already had more than recommended. Charged him under $40.

I originally thought it was a sales thing to get him to buy a new computer - but after looking at it myself it has less memory than my Ipod, couldn't update the RAM and it was as they said. They didn't pressure him at all - looked after him fairly.

I normally take my stuff to a local guy - they have the tools and know how I don't - are fair and quick.

I look at it like a car - I can change the oil, filters, break pads - but if it is more serious I take it to a mechanic for a professional opinion. But as with a mechanic there are good, bad, crooks and honest ones.

PS - occasionally the Staples stores have discounted - and once even seen a free computer clean ups.

Guest Sundancefisher

I went on and used the remove programs to clean all the stuff the kids downloaded over the years.

There seems to be a ton of processes running and using up memory. I have 4 gig ram but the system info sees only 3.5. I assume .5 is taken up with processes

here is an added advice...if you are going to get a new one [PC or Laptop] other than a Mac, then my suggestion would be to go to a store that will build one with ur specs, cause the ones you get through places are made in an assembling line, and can cause u a lot of headaches..I personally learned my lesson after buying 6 PCs from a brand name company...never again..and the cost of said items will vary of course but will wind up cheaper in the long run............Wolfie

here is an added advice...if you are going to get a new one [PC or Laptop] other than a Mac, then my suggestion would be to go to a store that will build one with ur specs, cause the ones you get through places are made in an assembling line, and can cause u a lot of headaches..I personally learned my lesson after buying 6 PCs from a brand name company...never again..and the cost of said items will vary of course but will wind up cheaper in the long run............Wolfie

That's the exact reason why we changed to the Mac. We bought a new HP a couple years ago, and had nothing but problems with it. It started out fast, but over time the hard drive threw up a "Imminent Failure" error, so we replaced it. Then it started trying to launch into space. The fan came on so often and was so loud, you actually couldn't hear the TV. Over the years I have always purchased machines that were custom built, on the advice of my friends, and avoided the proprietary guys, like HP, Dell, etc. If I ever go back to a PC, I'll go get one built.

I went on and used the remove programs to clean all the stuff the kids downloaded over the years.

There seems to be a ton of processes running and using up memory. I have 4 gig ram but the system info sees only 3.5. I assume .5 is taken up with processes

M8...to answer ur question is very easy...you have 4gigs of ram..but you are using either XP Home or XP Pro..they only use 3.5gigs..can't use anymore...however..Vista or Windows7 can use much more thus making things speed on by...i have 16gigs of ram , but i also use XP=for certain work, Windows7 is my main OS, and Vista if i get bored...........

..what you need to do is just use a good adware/malaware program to clean the crap out, the one i use is the top of the line..you will not be sorry if you get it.....................Wolfie

Guest Sundancefisher
M8...to answer ur question is very easy...you have 4gigs of ram..but you are using either XP Home or XP Pro..they only use 3.5gigs..can't use anymore...however..Vista or Windows7 can use much more thus making things speed on by...i have 16gigs of ram , but i also use XP=for certain work, Windows7 is my main OS, and Vista if i get bored...........

..what you need to do is just use a good adware/malaware program to clean the crap out, the one i use is the top of the line..you will not be sorry if you get it.....................Wolfie

Using Adaware, Spybot and AVG good enough?

Guest Sundancefisher
Sundancefisher..I'm going to give you very sound advice, with the hopes that you will understand ..there are many programs available to u in the web that will clean up unwanted tidbits that you unknowingly have picked up in Ur travels surfing the net..these are known as ..'adware and malware', nasty things that collect info on where you go, what you like, etc., these will slow down ur speed, but can easily be removed, and in my time of using the PC, I've tried them all ..but only one has proved it's weight in gold for me, as I run a "double quad", which I'm sure the chap from staples would know about...however..mine was made for me do to what I use the computer for.

..the adware/malware program I personally use is called..Prevx 3.0, and here is it's link.. http://www.prevx.com/ , Now you mentioned ur 'hard drive' and if you should clean it..well it was mentioned to u to defrag it and that is a good thing because it places all ur files in proper order and makes space for you..this should be done once a week or every other week to be sure..but every three months I clean my hard drive, and that is called ..re-formatting..but before i add whatever Operating System I want to use..I will use a program called ..'killdisk'..I'll run this three complete times, which will strip all my files from the hard drive and make it as it was when it was brand new...the only down fall in doing this is one must make discs of everything you want to keep otherwise, it will be wiped clean.

..Killdisk has a free download that works like a charm, here is it's link.. http://www.killdisk.com/ if you follow the instructions you will not have a problem, then after u clean the drive, then you can insert the OS disc that u use, and follow those instructions...........

..Now if you want you can pay a tech to do all of that for you..........here in Calgary I use..Memory Express..but to each his own..........hope my post has helped you out...................................Wolfie

PREVX scan says system clean... That is a good thing.

Using Adaware, Spybot and AVG good enough?

Let's put it to you like this....SpyBot was great when it first came out.., the owner and I, several years ago became friends, but he didn't take my advice as to making it a paid program, within 2 years it was hit hard, now AdAware..well..it's made in the states and that is as much as I'll say about it..all of the programs who give you a freebie, but do not let you really clean up ur computer, is another headache all together..and I'm sure over the course of you/family getting rid of programs for one reason or another, just followed the method of deleting them...but here comes the unforeseen problem, those things that you thought you deleted entirely...ahh...not so..for things 'stick' in ur resister, without you knowing..and so one must now use another program that really cleans when deleting stuff, but before I give you that program I have to say my piece on AVG...again another program which can be gotten cause they offer a freebie...censored.gif, my knowledge of the BEST antivirus program out there leads only to two[2]..but my choice for me is only one..

..the two are..Kaspersky, and Eset nod 32../..Eset Smart Security [for business..this is what I use]

..the program to completely clean all traces of whatever program u are deleting is called.YourUninstaller

..here are the Links only to those programs..

.. http://www.kaspersky.com/

.. http://www.eset.eu/products/eset-smart-security

.. http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=your+uninstaller+2009 ..........Wolfie