Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing The Bays

reevesr1

Ive been able to fish a couple of days on my trip so far. Once with my son and an old friend for a full day in Matagorda Bay, and once for a couple of hours with my son on Galveston Bay. Fishing was a bit slow, but still a lot of fun. Pretty tough with the fly rod. High winds, no sight fishing opportunities, so I gave up. Fish were caught on topwater and subsurface lures, and a couple on bait. Here are some shots of the trip. My son caught some bass last night in the Guadalupe River fishing with his cousin, so we are going to do that a bit tonite. Fly rod should rock at night!

Early morning thunderstorms. Put on quite a light show!

p7200008.jpg

p7200009.jpg

Early morning hookup on a big redfish. Lost him at my feet.

p7200014.jpg

Sunrise

p7200018.jpg

Tried to get a rainbow pic, didn't work the best. That's my buddy Rick in the shot. He ended up catching 4 or 5 fish. I landed 1 big trout and lost 2 reds and a flounder. Ben got the ladyfish and a fish called a gafftop (saltwater catfish).

p7200017.jpg

Ben with a ladyfish (poor man's tarpon)

p7200024x.jpg

Sunrise day 2:

p7230062.jpg

Me with a little trout:

p7230065.jpg

Possibly my favorite fishing pic of all time. Fish ran between myself and Ben, and jumped just as I snapped the photo. Perfect! And look at the smile. This fish was caught using bait. Looks fun to me!

p7230066.jpg

The brown variety of Pelican (sorry, forgot to take a flower pic)

p7230070.jpg

Wicked, nothin' like a few plus 45 high humidity days to acclimatize yourself to 30 degrees back ta Kalgree...

When ya gettin' back Big'uns? I got some days off comin'

I need a bigger screen..

This Galveston?

Yeah. Hadn't seen that in a long time. None of the piers are there anymore. The old Flagship Hotel (the hotel over the water) got wiped out in Ike, along with the piers.

And I usually change the picture resolution, but imageshack has a batch upload mode and I always forget to change the resolution when I use it.

Great pics, Tex; was worth the wait...

Pretty fortuitous timing on the pic of Ben & the jumper; awesome pic!

Of course, you made the classic mistake of posting location & shots with too much identifiable background; next year you'll probably see several people fishing there... ;)

Looking forward to hearing how the bass fishing goes!

Later,

Steve