Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated.

Guest FoamStoner

pretty sure humblefisherman doesnt run into any other anglers on his adventures..... my advice much like some of the others is put on your adventure hat and start walking!!! sounds to me like a couple of weekend warriors

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather then continue argueing this conversation, im getting off my ass at 5 this morning to go fishing. See ya

I would like to shake your hand Jeremy. Not for the subject of this particular post but becuase you are the next generation and you have taken a huge interest in fishing, and, you obviously have a passion for it. I don't know a ton of young teens but I know that none of the ones I do know have any interest in fishing. .....say that last sentence 20 times really fast....

Anyways, it is people at your age that are going to carry forwards the interest into the next generation. Keeping an interest and concern for our fisheries is the only thing that will keep it alive, period. I encourage you to keep chasing your passion and don't get frustrated by others.

Edit: Anglers of all sorts need to continue to generate the interest in angling. I know someone would call me on that too ;)

You are preaching to the converted on this board. True we might have different opinions about what effects our fisheries and how they should be managed but we really are all on the same team.

I know, it really does sound corny but I believe it.

Cheers to you!

pretty sure humblefisherman doesnt run into any other anglers on his adventures.....

Yes, and he catches some pretty nice fish too. What do you think the impact would be if he named those places in his videos?

Oh well, I guess next time he could just walk harder and farther.

Yes, and he catches some pretty nice fish too. What do you think the impact would be if he named those places in his videos?

Oh well, I guess next time he could just walk harder and farther.

Thats not the point, good on him for not sharing, its the fact that he gets out there and walks the distance to find the spots he finds. Look at someone like Dave Jensen and his wife who do the same. Myself can be included as i have walked numerous miles into the middle of nowhere to find out that the creek i was hoping was a gem was a dud and there were no fish to be had, ive also had the complete opposite. Pick up a map, pick a new creek and go explore and when you find the Holy Grail keep it to yourself and then find a new one. Get out and enjoy the beauty that we call Alberta. Dont start to cry and moan when you find 20 other anglers on the Oldman, or Highwood on a Saturday afternoon. Once again people seem to be complaining about this and that and i cant catch 17 24inch fish when i go out anymore, consider yourself privileged that you are able to get out and enjoy the wilderness, that you can afford to fly fish, and that your not poverty stricken living day by day. Things could be a lot worse, you could be stuck in some 3rd world country starving, with some god awful disease, instead your all fighting on a fly fishing forum that’s sole purpose is to share stories, idea’s, and help beginners to the sport, not to fight and whine like spoiled brats. Im pretty much done with this forum, I have made some great friends on this site but enough is enough.

mmmm...dead horse. Tastes good. Is there a cake recipe?

Seriously, Im sure there are multiuple causes. Another this year will certainly be people having less disposable income and vacationing closer to home.

Causality can be tough to pin

down. It is rarely A causes B, much more often A when combined with B in the presence of C contibutes to D. But its much more fun and entertaining to come up with one answer and blame all the ills on it. Particularly when blaming an online forum on the online forum.

Ive never fished the area I think you guys are speaking of (and in so doing bringing even more attention), but just how many times has it/them been discussed on here? Because once or twice wouldnt do it. It would have to be discussed often before it would have an appreciable impact (or at least I would think), assuming it was fairly well unknown before.

Anyway, sorry Birchy for being unable to resist taking my swings at the dead horse. I like the satisfying thump sound it makes.

Well said Rickr. Always amusing when people take observation and anecdotal evidence as statistics when the sample size is small or the results have not been repeated. I am not discounting the powers of observation, but that's far from proving a premise. I don't think Jeremie did this, but I'd like to know next time if he would go up and ask those people how they found out about "his" spot.

I would like to shake your hand Jeremy. Not for the subject of this particular post but becuase you are the next generation and you have taken a huge interest in fishing, and, you obviously have a passion for it. I don't know a ton of young teens but I know that none of the ones I do know have any interest in fishing. .....say that last sentence 20 times really fast....

Anyways, it is people at your age that are going to carry forwards the interest into the next generation. Keeping an interest and concern for our fisheries is the only thing that will keep it alive, period. I encourage you to keep chasing your passion and don't get frustrated by others.

Edit: Anglers of all sorts need to continue to generate the interest in angling. I know someone would call me on that too wink.gif

You are preaching to the converted on this board. True we might have different opinions about what effects our fisheries and how they should be managed but we really are all on the same team.

Cheers to you!

Also well said Snap.

How about this: like many of you, I grew up in this province, now going on 36 years. I can tell you, this is just my experience:

1) If you're favorite place ends in the word "river" it is was known and fished before I was born. And it was written about before the internet.

2) If, in particular, it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd stage tributary to the South Saskatchewan river, well, that ship has sailed. And it sailed a long time ago.

Alberta is so fascinating in many respects. It has thousands of km of fishable water, yet it feels like it has very little water. I think it should motivate us to explore a little more, etc etc.

I will say this; one thing I like is all this explosion in interest for flyfishing for anything with fins. So here is a major spoiler, listen closely, because this a major coming out:

Alberta, literally has thousands of km of underfished, underexploited waters for species different than trout. I'm sorry, I can't say the names, but one of the rivers rhymes with Mathabasca, and the other rhymes with Korth Jaskatchewan. 10 pounders too.

Just some thoughts. ;)

Smitty

Dead topic.... I know.

One thing though... angler stats don't include people fishing over the age of 65 in Alberta... with the change in demographics that may be a factor in the #'s seen on the river.

And Rightyeeqs, I debate with myself all the time. The point was that: Number of anglers don't equal people caring about the river.

Thats not the point, good on him for not sharing, its the fact that he gets out there and walks the distance to find the spots he finds. Look at someone like Dave Jensen and his wife who do the same. Myself can be included as i have walked numerous miles into the middle of nowhere to find out that the creek i was hoping was a gem was a dud and there were no fish to be had, ive also had the complete opposite. Pick up a map, pick a new creek and go explore and when you find the Holy Grail keep it to yourself and then find a new one. Get out and enjoy the beauty that we call Alberta. Dont start to cry and moan when you find 20 other anglers on the Oldman, or Highwood on a Saturday afternoon. Once again people seem to be complaining about this and that and i cant catch 17 24inch fish when i go out anymore, consider yourself privileged that you are able to get out and enjoy the wilderness, that you can afford to fly fish, and that your not poverty stricken living day by day. Things could be a lot worse, you could be stuck in some 3rd world country starving, with some god awful disease, instead your all fighting on a fly fishing forum that’s sole purpose is to share stories, idea’s, and help beginners to the sport, not to fight and whine like spoiled brats. Im pretty much done with this forum, I have made some great friends on this site but enough is enough.

Dustin, I think your overreacting. I fly fish A LOT! and many places I go I don't see a soul, but I also don't post about them. Isn't that the point? Don't we agree?

Regardless, even if we were disagreeing what's wrong with a bit of healthy debate. Don't take it personally and remember it's the spoiled brat who takes his ball and goes home.

You could just stop posting fishing reports and do like max does with one monthly "pictures post". I'll only post about popular rivers that everyone knows (crow oldman bow etc)... and if someone asks or needs advice / info on those Im happy to give it. I've posted all of , maybe, 5 fishing reports this whole year. I've been fishing other waters and exploring like a mad fool down here. but.... sh*t.... I seem to have forgotten all the names :lol:

Guest Jeremie
Where ya going?

:P

Not naming the area, but I did catch some beautiful cutts in the 18-24" range at dusk on dries =P And im also going on sunday too.

at least when your out fishing your not on fly fish calgary bitching and moaning. <--poke--<

At least i got fishing and didn't try to piss someone off like you just did.

Edit: Anglers of all sorts need to continue to generate the interest in angling. I know someone would call me on that too ;)

Cheers to you!

I understand snap. We have talked on the alberta fly fishing forum, im bh_flyfisher on there as well as on Fly fish bc. You would know what certain body of water i just came from because i know that you fish it as well.

As for the rest of you, im just stating an opinion so dont jump all over me, basically if you have nothing nice to say or any good input, dont say it.

Tight lines guys!

just my 2 cents, but everytime i have gone fishing there hasn't been a soul around. maybe it's because i like to fish stupid early morning, and dusk. We all know that fish only ever bite early afternoon on saturdays and sundays and only beside parks... maybe its not the places you fish but the times. I don't want to stand 30 feet from someone else either but I'm also going to go that extra mile or so, and by that i mean not try to fish at the same time as a *hit load of people are going to try tubing downstream, or the father and son duo(which for the record still makes me smile when i see a young kid casting for the first few times, or the look when they think they have a bite) are out for a afternoon. Okay so some remote spots are getting crowded, but have you actually read the regs book. it practically tells you which parts of the water systems yeild which size of fish. So maybe there is an arguement for internet forums adding to the crowding, but think about the other sources too. I gaurentee I could walk into bass pro, and play dumb with the guys there and get 5 different spots in 5 minutes. try it one day.

For the love of god let this topic go....