Fly Fusion Forums

Stuck In A Rut...

Xplorer

Hey Guys,

I seem to be unable to catch much of anything these days. I went to BC for 8 days, fished 3 different streams and 4 lakes with no fish caught. So I drank some beer and relaxed thinking I still have 5 days when I get back to fish the Bow and Foothills. Read the reports on the Bow, sounds good, went down in the NW tonight from 6 to about 10pm.I got frustrated and finally had had enough rafters, dog walkers who let there dog swim right where you are fishing and the many people who throw rocks for the pure fun of it...lol. I managed to get away from the crowds for awhile but that did not help much. I caught one small 8" rainbow and a matching whitefish plus one rainbow so small the size 16 parachute adams was almost to big for his mouth. The biggest fish I saw was a dead burbot that was floating by, he looked to be about 2 feet long, biggest fish I have seen in awhile.

There were lots of caddis flying around and a few white, mayfly looking bugs, no stoneflys that I could see and very few fish rising. I caught the 2 rainbows on the parachute adams and the whitefish on a EHC.

I tried nymphs early on, golden stones, SJW, copper john, hares ear and a couple others I can't remember right now. I tried orange,yellow and green stimulators with nothing, then EHC and parachute adams with a little success.

So, does the river fish better in the morning maybe, before all the people get to it? I normally do ok up here in the NW especially in the evening, but now I am beginning to think its me...I want to head to the mountains to fish some favorite creeks and lakes but not feeling to confident about it.

So how are you guys doing on the bow these days? What flies are working?

I feel cursed...hahaha

Thanks

• 1 month later...
I hear ya getting skunked sucks.My friend tells me the same thing every time i get stumped and ask for advise.He says, maybe your flies suck.Most times he's right.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and match the hatch, i have had a # of eveings just like that

For me mornings are significantly better than midday. I always try to get on the river as early as possible. I rarely fish evenings...

I've been doing a fair number of floats (three times in the past 8 days) and the river is fishing well in my opinion. I haven't fished in city limits for a couple of weeks.