Fly Fusion Forums

Dead Deer In Sheep River Trib

Was fishing with my sister the other week and came across something I've never seen before: a dead whitetail deer in the water! It was head down with just it's rump poking out of the water. Anyone ever seen anything like this before and/or speculate what happened? It's probably one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

63362433930902725790652.th.jpg

Squirrel, deer, cows, alot of dead ducks (especially on the Bow) and a friend of my dad's takes the cake with a dead body. A woman, had been missing a while apparently.. Seen deer swim the river several times, 4 bucks in velvet once, got close enough for a pic (film camera though.) Cows won't hesitate to try it, had to find a few of ours that swam across the Red Deer into the neighbors 40 plus sections. Seen a Rattlesnake in the middle of the South Sask, Garters in lakes, my dad saw a badger crossing once. I've seen deer in Shuswap near the floating store even. Just because animals can swim though, like people, it doesn't mean they're any good at it.

saw a dead elk that was completely submersed & quite decomposed floating down a river once [late spring]. scared the crap outta us until we figured out what it was once it stopped in a big calm pool & we got a good look.

also witnessed a griz crossing a lake a few summers back. got quite close to us in our boat actually we could hear him huffing & puffing.

I have seen a dead elk in a lake near invermere. It had fallen through the ice in the spring. The carcus sat half out of the watter for the better part of the year with birds and fish picking away at it. Now the bones are all that remain in the water. Its sort of creepy floating over it because you feet can practically touch them.