Fly Fusion Forums

Fishin Advice

Hi Folks - I'm going to be vacationing with my family the last week in July between Banff and Jasper in a small RV. I hope to get in a little fly fishing along the way. I am asking for advice on water worth stopping at on the Icefields Parkway. (I will be spending the next week in Whistler if you have any suggestions for that also).

Thanks,

Gregg Wrisley

When in Whistler go to Alta Lake and fish for the cuthroat there. They can be pretty feisty. Talk to Brian Niska or one of his staff at Whistler Fly Fishing. They are always willing to give free advice out to visitors. If your looking for a guide, they have a bunch of very skilled guides as well.

If your going to be in Jasper. Then I'd definately put Maligne Lake on my list of places to fish.

Tight lines and have a great trip.

Rob

Hello Familyguy and welcome to the site.

Here is a link to Parks Canada http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/v...4a_e.asp#jasper

I would give the Bow River a go eather in or around Banff. I have never fished it but I have a bud who has done well poking around those parts.

On the way up to Jasper you could try your luck on the Athabasca river for some Rainbows or put on a large streamer if you find a nice pool and try for a monster Bull Trout.

If you love river fishing the Maligne River is a must. It's a very fast and crazy river and should be fished with a partner but you will be shocked with what can live behind a rock in some monster rapids. There is some slack water as well on the Maligne river that fishes very well.

Maligne lake is a must even if you don't fish there the family will love it.

I hope you enjoy your trip

Guys - Thank you very much for the advice. I appreciate your taking the time to help a visitor. If you are ever in Northern California, I would be happy to return the favor.

Gregg Wrisley

gwris@yahoo.com