Fly Fusion Forums

Stoned!

Last night on the Bow the stones started hatching @ 10:00 to 12:00. HUGH rises, and turns on the stones all within 5feet from shore. I tried everything, foam realistic stones black, red and yellow, weighted stone nymphs, I even tried a greased line under a stimulator. I got only one big rise all night.

I have always heard that if you get into a stone hatch it can be the best fishing you will ever see. Well not the case, I only got one big turn and the fly was spit. I would love to what guys ont he board do for stone success because I have never seen anything like this before.....hence the title of the post STONED!

Matt

How are you fishing the stone? Alot of times I like to Swing stones, some nights are good other nights not so good, need more info to help out, what technique are you using.

Also like I said in a previouse post, have cofidence in what you are doing that way you are fishin and not fighting yourself.

I tried a few different techniques. I was switching between a dead drift and very short fast strips in an attampt to imitate the stones I could see on the surface, swiming and chillaxin. I really think this one needs mastering because the river was alive last night!

I tried a few different techniques. I was switching between a dead drift and very short fast strips in an attampt to imitate the stones I could see on the surface, swiming and chillaxin. I really think this one needs mastering because the river was alive last night!

Holy flippin stoneflies! Ive never seen so many as last night! I made the mistake of sitting in the grass for a min after dark . I got up and started fishing and they were all over me....on my waders ...on my hands even crawled up under my hoodie. Pretty freaky for sure Coulodnt get away from them. Then i turned the light on towards shore and there were hundreds and hundreds of them. Was flickin them off me for over an hour. Swingin hoppers was sweet. lots of takes which is even better when the lights go out and u cant even see them...just feel a couple taps or hear a take. Awesome awesome awesome

I feel and know your frustration on many levels. My husband and I bought a boat and chose to learn the Bow from the boat, floating it. It took us 3 NON-PRODUCTIVE and frustrating years until we lucked out and went fishing with a guide. The amount of knowledge we learned in that 9 hour float was IMMEASURABLE. It was worth the $500 plus tip and so much more. We learned tips, techniques, setups, flies, methods from a veteran of the river. I know Max - not as well as many on this board - but well enough to know that he knows the river just about as well as any expert Bow River angler can. Case in point - ran into him on the river last week as he was fishing from shore. He yelled at me to tie on a Chernobyl Ant. The rest is history - I'm sure I don't need to tell you what happened. Pay the $$ and go out with him and listen and learn. You'll be a better fisherman for it - and have a better appreciation for the technicality of the river and your abilities as a good fisherman. The first hurdle is the willingness to learn. By the sounds of your frustration - you're already there.

Good luck.

I feel and know your frustration on many levels. My husband and I bought a boat and chose to learn the Bow from the boat, floating it. It took us 3 NON-PRODUCTIVE and frustrating years until we lucked out and went fishing with a guide. The amount of knowledge we learned in that 9 hour float was IMMEASURABLE. It was worth the $500 plus tip and so much more. We learned tips, techniques, setups, flies, methods from a veteran of the river. I know Max - not as well as many on this board - but well enough to know that he knows the river just about as well as any expert Bow River angler can. Case in point - ran into him on the river last week as he was fishing from shore. He yelled at me to tie on a Chernobyl Ant. The rest is history - I'm sure I don't need to tell you what happened. Pay the $$ and go out with him and listen and learn. You'll be a better fisherman for it - and have a better appreciation for the technicality of the river and your abilities as a good fisherman. The first hurdle is the willingness to learn. By the sounds of your frustration - you're already there.

Good luck.

I don't know what kind of drugs I was taking last night but I meant to put this post in another thread....which Flyfisher has done for me (thanks). Sorry for the threadjack!