Fly Fusion Forums

Bitching And Complaining

Guest Sundancefisher

To complain or to compliment...that is the question...  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When things go well or go bad I always

• Do nothing
    • Just complain
    • Just compliment
    • Do both
    • Another poll topic I care less about
    • I would like to complain about all the polls
    • I would like to compliment the excellent photo of the pollster

Guest Sundancefisher

I have for sure sent in my share of complaints on various topics over the past 20 years...I like to be somewhat politically motivated...

But in the last 10 I have tried to make it a point to send in one compliment for each complaint.

I would like to compliment everyone on this board for all of their excellent posts and opinions, suggestions, advice, help and support over the years.... No complaints here.

Just curious though. How many send in compliments also...a bus driver, a function that went well, excellent service, a great job by a fellow employee, complimenting your kids etc.

Sun

After years in the customer service industry (bartender then Deskside support), I know nothing gets fixed unless you complain. and nothing that works gets recognized unless you compliment.

A good waiter or waitress finds out from my tip. (up to 25% of tab for excellent service) their manager finds out when I talk to him on the way out.

and this works for bad service as well. I never leave no tip (then you become that ignorant a$$). but bad service will receive a 5% tip and the manager will find out why they only got 5%.

A restaurant or bar owner has so much to do he can't possibly watch all his staff all the time. so a compliment or complaint really helps him.

also my tip is always in cash. I have met some shoddy owners that have skimmed credit card tips.

I've tipped a penny on the interact machine for really bad service (plus told the manager). Place went out of business a month later though.

I like to give compliments, I'll send comments to gear companies, I'll talk to people I deal with at work, I'll talk to a restaurant manager.

It is easier to just complain though....

Is it bitching and complaining when you bitch and complain about the bitchers and complainers?

Seems we have more than one or two on this site (bitchers and complainers I mean). I call them "Black Holes of Fun," you know, whenever they see fun they are compelled to suck it in and not let it back out.

Is it bitching and complaining when you bitch and complain about the bitchers and complainers?

Seems we have more than one or two on this site (bitchers and complainers I mean). I call them "Black Holes of Fun," you know, where all fun gets sucked in and can't get out.

Stop whinning Rick....

After years in the customer service industry (bartender then Deskside support), I know nothing gets fixed unless you complain. and nothing that works gets recognized unless you compliment.

A good waiter or waitress finds out from my tip. (up to 25% of tab for excellent service) their manager finds out when I talk to him on the way out.

and this works for bad service as well. I never leave no tip (then you become that ignorant a$$). but bad service will receive a 5% tip and the manager will find out why they only got 5%.

A restaurant or bar owner has so much to do he can't possibly watch all his staff all the time. so a compliment or complaint really helps him.

also my tip is always in cash. I have met some shoddy owners that have skimmed credit card tips.

I've only not tipped once, and as a Canadian it was damn difficult for me to do it. Not sure why that is, but seems like, as you say, for really bad service all we do is reduce the tip to 5%.

The only thing i think i bitch and complain about in the consumer world is food...

I believe that if im payin a hefty mark up on food, then it should arrive steamy hot, if not i have no problems sending it back.

If the food is epic then ill let em know.

for food: if the service sucks, it's taking too long, our waiter has been paying no attention to our table, etc... I'll just get the heck up and leave, even if we've ordered. I wont pay or tip for crap service (if there's no excuse). if it's a friday night or valentines and every tom dick and harry's at the restuarant and it loks like theres only one waiter I'll go the other way with it and be encouraging and tip well, if he/she is working their azz off.

I'm the same way with fishing gear... I dont do it a lot online but every time someone asks for opinions about stuff I own that I like I'll back it up. Islander, TFO, and St Croix are the best :)

cheers.

I should be bitching right now about the fact that Ive made plans this weekend with two members of the board and both of 'em bailed on me without giving me really any warning (notice its 4am)... one went fishing with someone else..., folks if your so spoiled by the bow being right there... that's fine but when someone gets a chance once a month if that to fish it and ya make plans maybe show some balls and show up. end of rant. going fishing.

I should be bitching right now about the fact that Ive made plans this weekend with two members of the board and both of 'em bailed on me without giving me really any warning (notice its 4am)... one went fishing with someone else..., folks if your so spoiled by the bow being right there... that's fine but when someone gets a chance once a month if that to fish it and ya make plans maybe show some balls and show up. end of rant. going fishing.

Well you do kinda smell like fish.. <--poke--<

Guest Sundancefisher
Well you do kinda smell like fish.. <--poke--<

How about bitching about people hijacking threads to bitch about other stuff?

:angel:smail:

Dude, invite me! If I make plans to fish & don't show up, you'll know I'm dead.

But, I refuse to "show some balls"; gotta draw the line somewhere! :angel:smail:

Peace out! :peesout: (This should be your sign-off, Brian.)

Steve

And, now back to our topic ( just so Kevin can't COMPLAIN too much about hi-jacking ;) )

More of a "pat on the back" kinda guy, myself; as opposed to a "kick in the a$$" kinda guy.

Much more likely to throw out a compliment than a complaint.