Fly Fusion Forums

Can You Explain That ?

lamponius

Hi,

firstable, I have hesitated to post that question here or in "other rivers", but as I need an explanation from someone who knows Alberta s streams, it seems OK.

Anyway,

2 years ago, I started flyfishing, and I used to go on Threepoint creek. Fishing was great, every hole, every fallen tree was hosting rainbows. For sure, small guys (with 13 inches as "record")...

Last year, I couldn t get out as many times as I wanted, and I ve been there a couple of time in september/october, with no luck at all (except a small 5-6 incher obviously lost...). No risers, no strike...nothing.

I tried this morning and again, I fish...and nothing else. I m not talking that I landed one and missed a lot...I saw one, landed one and...nothing else.

I m not complaining, nor asking for other creek (I m starting to know where I can find some fish...), and there always is the Bow, with a lot of fish. The truth is that I love fishing small rivers, where pleasure is not only in the size of the fish.

I just want to undertand : WHAT HAPPENED ?????

I noticed that the river profile changed a lot after run off (some pools disappeared, different runs...). But, fish are not used to it ?

I just want to understand better how it works...Thanks for any explanation you can give me.

I don't know the creek, but any natural population can go through normal, and sometimes significant, cycles or even random blips. It could be the creek is just in a low swing.

I'd guess (less professionally, obviously) that it is more likely that you have just hit it at "off" days the last few times. Sometimes I fish water that if I didn't know were filled with fish, I would swear were barren.

Hi Conor,

Thanks for answering me.

I guess I will have to try more than a couple of time then...

There could be a multitude of reasons as to why this occurs. But i wouldnt stress, 3point is a large system and id just explore a little more even if it is on 3 point. As you said i had numerous 20+ fish days none bigger then 12" last season and would expect that at some point the trend will continue this year. Maybe a big brown has made his way up and is getting nice and fat :D

don't give up on 3point. As said above it is a large system and it maybe a bit early.

I used to fish it a fair amount and one day it was awesome the next day it was like someone had drag netted the river and left nothing, then one day later bam 30 fish day...

*shrug* wonders of mother nature.

Hi Lamp

I used to fish Threepoint quite a bit. I noticed what you observed too - especially upstream. I found that fishing was only good early in the season. The big ones seem to move on (downstream?) and for the rest of the summer the levels were low and there was only smallish fish there.

I like the smaller streams also. Flat creek might appeal to you.

Cheers