Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Fishing In Algonquin Park

COZNUTS

spent a week out in Toronto and area and did a little bass fishing with the flyrod.WOW...i must say these are the most hardest hitting and fighting fish Ive ever hooked into.they would come up completely smash your fly and go straight back to the weeds.....so keeping them up was definitely a task...especially with my tfo 6wt.the first morning i pretty much lost every fish until about noon....then a finally landed one....what a fight.i got to check out the bass pro shop in T.O. that place is amazing !!! and there gonna build one in Calgary ....sweet.anyways heres some pics of my trip

DSC015262-1.jpg

DSC015311.jpg

DSC015281.jpg

DSC015341.jpg

sweet pics. i'll be fishing for those guys soon enough. how in the hang did you reel in a bass in those lily pad fields??

If I had to guess, I'd say HEAVY tippet & forget trying to get'em on the reel!

There mouths are so difficult to set the hook into, you truly have to keep your hooks sharp and do some hard bow river hook sets. You think those dudes on the pro bass tour, and anal, and set there hook to hard, no way dude, you have to ensure you even have a chance of getting them in. I have no problem saying this (probably cause its in BC) If you want some good bass action, surveyors lake in kikomen provincial park BC, Some of the best bass fishing for the fly rod ever (in my opinion) http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/p...gs/kikomun.html. Also for you with families one of the NICEST campgrounds ive been too, lake is warm and clear, fishing is good, amazing family place, but note the reserved spots go on the FIRST day you can make reservations if you do decide to go, but you will LOVE it.

Thx for that link. That's 2 hrs from home for me... and totally worth going to try. Is the lake weedy (surveyors) or is there nice beaches for the kids and wife?

The main beach is great, no weeds at all barely. We go every summer.

Lots of nice structure, a few parks, 2 nice beach's the water is wonderfully. Great place to get your kids into fish, and in the heat of the day you can swim in the water. You cant go wrong. oh yea, and few weeds, are some place with reeds and such, and yes as the Bass moves to your fly you can see them move, and it makes your heart pump dude.