Fly Fusion Forums

What Fly Line To Buy?

Hi,

I'm a fairly new to fly fishing and I just recently bought a Sage FLi 5 wt. I'm trying to figure out what fly line I should buy. I'm happy to spend a little extra for a better line.

I'll mostly be trout fishing on the Bow or some smaller streams around Southern Alberta. I'm looking at getting a weight forward, but should I consider a double taper? I've been recommended the SA GPX, Orvis Wonderline, Rio Gold or CortlandR 444. So many to choose from!

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I use GPX on my FLi 6 wt. I also like SA Headstart as it is also over-weighted like GPX (maybe a little heavier) and half the price of GPX (good value IMHO). I have also heard some good things about the Rio line that is over-weighted (Rio Grand, I think?). Just remember that over-weighted lines are really forgiving and will make you cast better then your skills should allow, i.e., perpetuate our bad habits! If you are concerned, go with a standard weight line and take a lesson!!

Peter

P.S. Tightline (Sean) and theiceman2 (Matt) both use GPX on their FLi (6 wt)/Flight (5 wt) respectively, so shoot them a PM if you want, I'm sure they will give you some good info...

I use a Fli 5 wt and I have used Rio Grande, Orvis Wonderline and a SA Floating Line. They all work really well. I personally like the Wonderline as it seems to mend a little easier. I hear the Sage lines are great too.

EmeraldGem, this is a tough question as it is a loaded question. The best answer comes with more questions. How often are you fishing? What type of fishing are you going to do mostly (nymphing/dry/streamer)? Where are you fishing? I think you answered the last one, but the second one is likely the most important. I use my FLi as my "all around" rod, with most of the use being nymphing. I recently switched over from GPX to Airflow Ridge Tactical, as the GPX didn't last long (about 130 days of fishing), while the Airflow has a 5 year guarantee I believe. However, I use my 4wt mostly for dry fly action and have the GPX on there. Off the top of my head, I would say stay away from double taper. It doesn't really prolong the life of your line and you would be better off with a single taper (you'll likely enjoy casting it more). I would recommend going into a reputable fly shop in town, explain the type of water you'll fish, what type of fishing you'll do, and what weight rod, as well as how much you would like to spend. They'll likely give you a few to choose from, explain the differences, and then you can make an informed decision.

I like to roll / single spey and find with my WF i can't do this past the head of the line. The running line can't transfer enough power. I think the next line for my 6 wt will be a DT

try a Wulff TT line, roll casting dream

I like to roll / single spey and find with my WF i can't do this past the head of the line. The running line can't transfer enough power. I think the next line for my 6 wt will be a DT

For single hand spey all you want to have outside of the rod tip is the head of the line. If you need more distance learn how to shoot line rather than go with more line outside the rod tip and it'll make things much easier.

Sorry for the hijack. I used to use the SA GPX and quite liked it. Now all my single handers have Loop Opti lines on them, but they're a bit pricier.