Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Casting Help

Rufus28

Hello Spey Gurus!

I am having issues with my shoulder (Arthritis on a list for surgery). I have been able to deal with it for a while now but it is really starting to get to me. I have spoken to some people that said I should consider switching to a two handed rod.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who would be willing to show me the ropes and maybe give me some pointers on gear.

Please PM me if you can help.

Thank You Very Much!

Hello Spey Gurus!

I am having issues with my shoulder (Arthritis on a list for surgery). I have been able to deal with it for a while now but it is really starting to get to me. I have spoken to some people that said I should consider switching to a two handed rod.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who would be willing to show me the ropes and maybe give me some pointers on gear.

Thank You Very Much!

Rufus,

If your shoulder has issues go with a certified instructor who can help you dial in a cast with minimal pain. I am sure lots of guys on the forum could help you sort a cast out but I am equally sure a certified instructor would do it in such a way as to minimize the learning curve and associated shoulder pain. Spey casting can be trickier to learn for some than single handed casting and it can be pretty hard on your body if your not doing it correctly whereas when done right it feels so easy it's almost shocking.

al

Rufus,

If your shoulder has issues go with a certified instructor who can help you dial in a cast with minimal pain. I am sure lots of guys on the forum could help you sort a cast out but I am equally sure a certified instructor would do it in such a way as to minimize the learning curve and associated shoulder pain. Spey casting can be trickier to learn for some than single handed casting and it can be pretty hard on your body if your not doing it correctly whereas when done right it feels so easy it's almost shocking.

al

Any Suggestions?

I think Chris Seipio is doing a clinic through Bow River Troutfitters soon. I don't think any two-handed certified instructors live in Calgary, but a few swing by every so often like Brian Niska (Whistler on the board) and Gordon Macleod (speyghillie). Both were here recently, though, and I don't know when they'll be back next. Might want to try sending them a pm.

Dan McKrimmon will be giving a course at the end of the month. The saturday course is for beginners, which is what I suggest you take, the cost is only $80 for the day I belive it is from 9am to 5pm.

Here is the web site with more information.

http://www.bestgearsales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ClgyWrkShp

Here is a quick note about Dan from his Web Site

Dan McCrimmon

Dan is a member of the Federation of Fly Fishers Casting Board of Governors, Master Certified Casting Instructor, and a Two-handed Casting Instructor program examiner.

He is also a respected examiner for the Federation of Fly Fishers International program.

Dan has international warm water, cold water, river, lake and salt-water fly fishing experience, and is an experienced instructor, whose goal is to have both his beginner and advanced students meet their maximum potential.

Dan’s focus has been learning from the masters in the art of underhand casting and Scandinavian style fishing with two-handed rods. He is also a proud Member of the GUIDELINE Fly Products Power Team

‘His precise and humorous training sessions and demonstrations deliver fly casting techniques that will stay with you for ever’. Richard Wentz - Editor- Flyfisher Magazine

Hello Spey Gurus!

Thank You Very Much!

Hey Rufus

Use of a two handed rod, and in particular learning to underhand cast Scandinavian style with a short stroke, can reduce the impact on your body significantly.

You should also note that this style fits well with a single hand rod as well.

The next step may be a switch rod for smaller rivers, or a short two handed rod.

Orthopedically, my Doctor friends have pointed out, the use of the short stroke and underhand cast, can reduce the physical impact on your body by as much as 300 lbs over a day of fishing. This is calculated against single handing, and "all top hand" casting.

When you lift your line out with a single hand, you are lifting the weight of the line (plus drag), the weight of the reel, the weight of the rod and the weight of your own arm. Overhead casting over a day can raise hell with arthritis, and your back, and your shoulders. Similarly using top hand only with a two handed rod can be painful.

So a good approach is to use a short stroke, good underhand pull, and constant tension casting which will further reduce the "hard stop" impact of single hand or "straight line" two-handed casting.

Now add the ability to use either hand as the power hand, and you can have a good day fishing without having to pray to Saint Tylenol by evening.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Rufus,

in regards to the shoulder........the best thing for your shoulder is to keep your casting had no higher than your shoulder throughout the entire cast. This will also result in your top hand and rod tip travelling in a straight path(as oppossed to convex) and will give you a very tight loop.

• 5 weeks later...