Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Etiquette

Agreed. Fishing isn't a social club for me. There are probably many of us who would put solitude near the top of the list of motivations for fishing. I often don't even notice people passing by until they are long gone. Having said that, I will usually say hi if I see you nearby, but if I don't, please don't judge me, it's not about you, it's about fishin.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read it/bash it how you like. I'm not talking about people who don't notice folks coming up. I'm talking about people who do, then go out of their way to pretend they don't. Everyone knows the difference. I'm not looking for a social club, I'm talking about people who go out of their way to ignore. If that is appropriate behavior where you come from, fine. To me, it isn't.

Read it/bash it how you like.

I already did.

Oh ya- appropriate behavior where I am from is not judging people because they do not strike up a conversation when they are out fishing by themselves. I am fishing, not trying to expand my social network- exactly why I fish!

It is not all about you rickr

It's pretty interesting that I was talking to nobody in particular, just an observation, and you went out of your way to make it personal. Fine.

It's also fairly interesting that you talk about not wanting to expand your social network while you are on a social network. While it may not be about me, you seem intent on making it about you.

not bashing Rick just stating, if I am fishing just say hi loud enough.

Teck,

I read your reply how you meant it, didn't take it bad at all. There was only one bash, and he knew who I meant as judged by the last few posts.

It's pretty interesting that I was talking to nobody in particular, just an observation, and you went out of your way to make it personal. Fine.

It's also fairly interesting that you talk about not wanting to expand your social network while you are on a social network. While it may not be about me, you seem intent on making it about you.

Again, people fish for other reasons than your reasons.

Go back under your rock. Rick isn't saying every time you see some one on the river you should strike up a conversation, become best friends and have a friday beer date. Besides as to which, in everything we do in life if you come across someone you don't know or weren't expecting you should smile and say hello, not ignore them. It's the courteous thing to do!

Besides as to which, in everything we do in life if you come across someone you don't know or weren't expecting you should smile and say hello, not ignore them. It's the courteous thing to do!

Definately agree, a "hello" is always in order, if you are passing by, or fishing as someone passes by.

Definately agree, a "hello" is always in order, if you are passing by, or fishing as someone passes by.

If someone started a thread called "up" , im pretty sure you would be the first guy to post "down"

Whenever I encounter someone fishing in a spot I had hoped to fish, I have never been turned away by asking if I can slide in up or downstream of that person. The beauty about fishing the bow is that 99.9% of the fisherman on this river (at least the ones I have ran into) are more than happy to share the hole provided you keep a respectable distance between the two or in this case three of you. It makes my blood boil just to hear about your experience, good on ya for keeping your cool!!

As for meeting people, Hell Yeah!! Why not?? Anyone I run into while walking the banks of the Bow has fishing in common with me and thats a hell of lot more than most people I meet.

cheers all!!

Being from Edmonton I am usually jealous of not having the Bow river to fish regularly but other times I'm really happy that there are indeed a good number of other rivers to fish in this province. Ones where if you did happen to come across another angler you'd actually be obliged to say hello because...well frankly because you'd be 2 dudes standing in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand dropping in on a hole on these rivers would be akin to handling a mans woman- downright dangerous. These honey holes might only hold one or 2 fish. The Bow has what 3000 fish/mile.

From my point of view and to have it my way, if you are close enough to talk to me while I'm fishing then you are too bloody close. I choose where I fish based on this premise and when I do get a chance to spend some time on the bow I'll change my expectations accordingly.

Good luck out there guys, it's like road rage but on the river-river rage is what y'all got.