Fly Fusion Forums

Bear - Cougar Warning

The majority of my life I have fished in the region north of Rocky anywhere up to the Kakwa area. I have never encountered a cougar and the bear encounters have been little to worry about. For the most part the bears take off in a flash when encountering humans. I have been charged twice, once while in a vehicle and once in a clearing when I was about 10 years old. (The cubs were curious of my brother and I, mom charged when the cubs were 10 feet from us. More of "lets get the hell out of here" thing.)

Anyways, I am curious. Due to the south being a more popular area tourist wise than the central and northern regions, combined with the heavy pressure the region sees, is it possible the cougars and bears are becoming used to humans to the point they have little fear anymore? Or is it just the weather we have been experiencing this year?

Heard on the news today they're advising caution in Fish Creek as a cougar was sighted in the west end of the park. F&W were called in to trap it. Old timers tell me that most people have probably been stalked by cougars, they just didn't know it.....scary. I wonder what's with all the activity lately, don't berries usually mean that bears are too interested in eating them than paying attention to us? I've heard of people picking huckleberrys at Castle Mountain Resort at the same time 5 black bears were gorging themselves. Guess it depends whether or not the bear sees you as a threat, but I would doubt this time of year a human would be attacked as a food source.