Fly Fusion Forums

Anybody Ever Fish Cuba?

I just got me & wifey tickets to Varadreo next wednesday. 1 week of mohitos should help get rid of winter! I am wondering if anybodys ever fished out there? Should I bring anything? or is it just as easy to "take the tour"? cheers and blue skies

from veradaro see if you can arrange a one-day to the Hataguanico for tarpon .. 10-wt..poppers and streamers ... fish the side chanels for tarpon with poppers...just ask adc about that :) ...my avatar is a hataguanico tarpon last march....las salinas is a very long day trip from veradaro....the rio is closer and still a 3 or 4-hr drive...ask david at fish tails ... clive

What resort are you going to? Also just and FYI, when you go down they exchange your canadian dollars to CUC (convertible peso) at the same value as the American dollar when you convert back they will do it dollar for dollar, so dont just exchange all your money at once.

nick

We are going to stay at the Melia Veradero, it sure looks nice, right on Veradero beach. It sounds like I need to talk to the boys @ Fishtales! thanks for the tips guys, I do appreciate it. I love these last minute trips especially when I have the chance to fish! Ill have a mojito for you all

" finding good guides that cater to fly fisherman can be damn near impossible anywhere in a 6 hour radius..." a guy from lethbridge went to hatiguanico from veradero last year...a one-day trip ... 3 to 4 hour drive ..not expensve ... you just need to set a time and place .. it is easy to find hatiguanico on google earth (have link on home pooter..not at home now)... it's another 2 hours to las salinas so that's hard for a one-day trip...you should be able to get in (say) 3 or 4 hours of tarpon fishing in the rio ... it is not as much 'fun' as sight fishing in the chuck but maybe you have to compromise...there are some seriously big tarpon in the river....

yeah .. mike over at CP can also help .. but the 'gardens' is out for a one dayer.

jayjj11

I'm fairly certain that the guys at Fishtales have been doing Cuba for the fewest amount of years, compared to the 2 shops just up the road

We don't post a lot but I had to on this one. Mr jayjj11 you should not make statements like the above without knowing the scoop. Fish Tales has been doing trips to Cuba longer than any of the other shops. This year actually marks our 10th year going down there.

Skyguy just stop by the shop or email and we can see about helping you out. The guides who work in the area near Varadero, Clive is right about the drive times, are into their busy season so there is limited availabilty at certain times.

Hope this helps.

David

Fish Tales