Fly Fusion Forums

Weighing Spey Lines

SilverDoctor

I happened to pick up a food scale at Safeway on sale. Always read about actually weighting your line to really dial your grains in. Dropped on one of my lines that I always assumed was 400 grains, it ticked in a t 490. This is great I have a few lines that I am now going to go through. In the past I have always asked manufacturers and other fishermen about how long to cut, to customize lines and heads. This has opened a new world for me, even for my standard lines, I love it. now I can cut my heads to match my lines.

hells yea dude! i picked up a digital scale last year at a hemp shop! deadly for dialing in your lines!!!! make all teh difference.. i find if u have a little too much u can sort of puck up a small amount of line off the scale and get a semi accurate reading too so u dont halfto guess on how much u gotta chop off too get it down 10 or 15 grains or even 50 or more! totally a sick investment for one who likes too tinker!

Dropped on one of my lines that I always assumed was 400 grains, it ticked in a t 490.

Wow, do you mean you bought it as a 400 grain or you had cut it back thinking it was around 400 after you were finished? I know there's going to be some fault tolerance in a new line, but 90 grains would be a little over the top...

Wow, do you mean you bought it as a 400 grain or you had cut it back thinking it was around 400 after you were finished? I know there's going to be some fault tolerance in a new line, but 90 grains would be a little over the top...

Actually this particular Windcutter line I had it cut back by a shop in BC. They swore it was 400 and even wrote it on the box. The plus side is that it not too light and I can still cut it back to where I need if If I want.

hells yea dude! i picked up a digital scale last year at a hemp shop! deadly for dialing in your lines!!!! make all teh difference.. i find if u have a little too much u can sort of puck up a small amount of line off the scale and get a semi accurate reading too so u dont halfto guess on how much u gotta chop off too get it down 10 or 15 grains or even 50 or more! totally a sick investment for one who likes too tinker!

Damm, never thought of a hemp shop when I was looking. Silly me and a child of the 60's too.

hells yea dude! they have some cheap digital scale all teh way up too some pricey ones! totally worth the money! u can use a spring scale too but having a digital with 1 or 2 points on teh gram is super for being precise! no guessing involved!