Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Vibram Rubber Sole Boots

I'll be passing through Calgary in a couple of weeks and I want to pick up a pair of these, I understand this is a new product (vibram sole) out there. Can someone guide me as to where I can find these, if you know for certain who has them as my time will be limited so I'm looking at stopping by the store/flyshop buying and heading out right away, no time to go from flyshop to flyshop. I understand there are numerous shops that carry Simms products, but like I said, I am only interested in the Vibram soles, I would like specifics, none of "so and so" should have them.

BTW, is Bowriver Troutfitters open these days, I heard they were temporarily closed.

Thanks for your assistance,

Saltamontes

I couldn't speak for these boots in particular but I do know that vibram has really expanded the soles they produce. Used to be that the only difference was the tread design and the rubber density was the same across the board. More recently they have started making sole for light hikers and shoes and these seem to be made of softer rubber.

I've had several pairs of hiking boots with vibram soles and the boots will wear out long before the sole will but having said that the rubber is hard and can make them slick on cold wet surfaces. I would assume the soles on these boots are of the softer rubber and the tread looks similar to the design on some of the light hikers I mentioned.

I would be interested to hear first hand experience about them. I'm in the market for new boots and am considering moving away from the felt as I easily spend as much time on the dirt as in the water when I fish.