Fly Fusion Forums

Loop 7120

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

Can someone recommend a Scandi head for my new Loop 7120? I have a 24ft compact Skagit (480 grain) but I was told this wouldn't be a good nymphing head.

Thanks guys.

Hey Neil, I really like a Vision Ace 6/7 on that rod, which is 23 grams at 10m. The Vision Ace 7/8 at 25 grams works also, but the 6/7 was pretty sweet for me. You can try both of these lines and others as well, next time we get out.

a easier line too try and find would be the rio AFS heads.. im not too sure on grain weight.. what is teh grams on your rod recommended? hit a google calculator grams too grains and get one in the window...... anotehr line would be airflows compact scandi... havnt tried one yet but i have a few rio afs heads and love em! another option would be the loop opti custom shooting head.....

Like so many things in life ,many answers may suit the moment...a better way of looking at this issue is to consider your fishery and it's variouis approaches. Nymphing in it's many art forms is a wonderful way to catch Trout and Steelhead,and of course other game fish. The whole idea is to manage your presentation the best way possible under the conditions and at the same time detect minute impacts on the line/rod.

So. if you are going to use a Scandi head then you (for the Bow River and other Alberta systems) will want to have a Scandi' head in the 39-42' lenght, Floating,Intermediate or even a sink tip version. Using Polytips of various degrees of float and sink may also be an option.

My personal favorite fishing line; Bar none, is Beulah's Elixir Line ...it opens the door to most of the fishing situations we encounter except when we have to use very heavy sink tips and monster flies.Then we might want to go to a Skagit head or even a condensed version such as a Compact head or Beulah's Tonic head. If you are using a head of some kind for nymphing then I might suggest to make sure that your shooting line or running line is floating ,possible intermediate...simply these are able to detect hits more efficientlyand are able to be mended.

Snowbee has just introduced a complete new range of Scandanavian Shooting heads that are looped and come with a full range of Poly tips...we won't see these for a few weeks yet.Their current range is full ,but at 44' may ned to be cut down and then looped......Great lines.

C

I second Max's advice. The Loop custom rocks and the afs works fantastic on this rod in either the 6/7 or the 7/8 depending on your level of skill. Probably best to start with the 7/8 - i think Max hasdone, perhaps you can arrange a test cast.

BTW I am looking at getting out Alberta way in early May and will have lots of gear for those that would like a test casting session or a casting tune up.

Guest JayVee
I second Max's advice. The Loop custom rocks and the afs works fantastic on this rod in either the 6/7 or the 7/8 depending on your level of skill. Probably best to start with the 7/8 - i think Max hasdone, perhaps you can arrange a test cast.

BTW I am looking at getting out Alberta way in early May and will have lots of gear for those that would like a test casting session or a casting tune up.

Would you bring a particular model if we requested it?

Hi Neil

I have a few lines that would be good candidates for that rod and you are more than welcome to try

them ( including the Loop Multi WFF). Just waiting for the next Spey get together and if that is soon

enough and I will come down with lines in tow.

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...