Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Or Brown?

On Friday I fished a creek down south; fishing was slow, so I drove to another section of the same creek to try my luck. Caught a few bows &

a couple cutts & cuttbows- very slow for this creek. Almost gave up, but decided to fish one more stretch; had fished this area once last year

with no luck at all. Landed a couple nice cutts in the first couple pools, decided to walk to one more; I remembered that it had a tiny creek

dumping in there- might be worth a shot. That pool made my day, & then some! First cast, a fish slammed my nymph- a 14" cutt. As I was

playing this fish, I saw a MUCH bigger fish trying very hard to eat the cutty! Pulse started pounding as I envisioned catching a big bull trout.

I released the cutt & grabbed my other rod, already rigged with a smallish streamer with a wet fly tied behind it- this was my 2WT, but I had

8lb tippet on it. Figured I might miss my shot at a biggun if I took the time to retie on my other rod, so what the hey? First cast, another nice

cutt on the wet. Next cast, a 15-16" brown with that big hawg trying to steal him off my line; I assumed it was a bull because that's the only

fish I've seen (besides pike) exhibit this aggressive behaviour. I caught about 14-15 trout from that pool, all hooked in about a 10ft square

area, lost a couple more that went aerial(cuttbows?), & missed several more hooksets. Twice I thought I had the big one; first one turned out

to be a 17" brown, hooked in the arsehole (OW!), the next was a beautiful 19" brown. Most were caught on the wet fly; then I switched back

to a two-nymph rig on my 3WT. Caught a few more browns & bows before hooking the fish of the day. This fish was powerful and stayed deep

at first; he tore up, down, & across the pool several times before erupting from the water in front of me. This was a brown that made my 19"er

look small; at least several inches longer, & way thicker. I was still grinning from ear to ear a minute later when my tippet parted between my

two flies, leaving that monster brown with a San Juan Worm in his yap, & me with my GRHE & a great memory of one that got away. :lol:

After a few more casts with no hits, I headed back to the car with a smile on my face; that pool had turned a pretty slow day into one that I

won't soon forget. The picture of that big brown exploding out of the water is burned into my brain.

Now, back to the topic: have any of y'all ever had a brown chase down a fish you were landing? I never got a good look at the one chasing

my fish because the water was very off-colour, but I assumed it was a bull. After hooking that big broonie, I started to wonder if browns ever

did that. I've never seen or heard of it, but maybe in that stained water they get a little braver (dumber?). What do y'all think?

Steve M (Bob Loblaw) :P

Nice report.

I would guess that it was a Bull trout chasing your 15"-16" Brown trout. Big Browns do occasionally attack when you have a small trout 8"-10" on your line, but a 15"-16" trout getting attacked is most likely by a big Bull. IMO

Browns can be aggressive in smaller creeks. I've had big browns come out from under the bank to chase the little Brookies on my line occassionally on Stauffer. But I agree with Toolman, it was most likely a Bull Trout because it came back a few times at different fish.

I've seen Browns take a quick swipe at a fish on my line, but they never seem as persistant as the Bull Trout.

Edited By MTB...Just because.

I will answer your query in the affirmative. I had a 20 inch brown chase a smaller brown I had hooked on a EHC all around the pool. The kicker was I had a beadhead dropper under the dry and the larger fish ended up hooking himself in the mouth on the nymph, the small fish got off and I landed the bigger one. I also thought it was a bull at first, because that big brown was very aggressive and persistent.

I guess there's always the possibility the big fish was after the other fly in the cast; first time was on a 2-nymph rig, second time the brown I

was landing was on a wet fly trailed behind a streamer. Sure looked as though he was trying to eat that other fish, though.