Fly Fusion Forums

Vicious Bull

brownsbask

Hey, new on the site, thought I'd throw up a couple cool pics from last summer.

I was getting rainbows and cutthroats on streamers below the Oldman dam, and while bringing in a ~13" rainbow this bull trout came out of the depths and took it crossways in its jaws. It wouldn't let go until it was right up by the rocks. And it took one more swipe before shooting off.

2745375446_e190d453c2.jpg

2745375458_8b5447832d.jpg

2745375462_8ae567381a.jpg

Not sure the length, but you can see the size of the rainbow in the first pic.

Anyone had this happen there, or elsewhere?

Guest JayVee

Very cool shots BB. The Humblefisherman posted an underwater video (I think) of a Bull attacking a Cuttie he was reeling in. Does anyone know how to tie flies that are 12" or bigger that look like trout? LOL!

Those are cool shots man, has happened to me once before with teeny cuttie on the highwood. Gotta love the Alberta sharks!

Heh, yeah sharks were all I could think of as the bull was cruising around, sometimes with just the dorsal fin out of the water.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

rare event and even rarer is catching it on film!! If you were a bit faster with the net you could have had a personal double header and that would have been even RARERER!!! lol

Cool pics!

Had the same thing happen with a little rainbow on the Highwood. The bull followed the little guy just about onto the gravel and waited a foot or so offshore while I released the 'bow. When the bow appeared healthy, the bull just sank back down into the pool.

Very cool to see it.

Nice pics, Brownsbask; welcome to FFC.

Bulls definitely get focused when they decide to eat sumthin'.

I watched my bro' landing a cutty on the Elk some years back; a decent bull came tearing into the shallow water,determined to make

a meal of the cutt. The cutt went between my bro's feet in 6" of water, with the bull right behind him; he only backed off when the cutt was taken out of the water. I'm sure I heard him cussin' as he disappeared into the deeper water.

Ive had similar experiences on several occasions. Years ago I even had a large bull trout try to steal a Grayling right off a stringer in some skinny water right close to shore. They are real predators to be certain.

Heres an interesting pictorial of just such an encounter with a Bull Trout by Dave Lewis. A big fish story

• 2 weeks later...

Had it happen to me on the Northwest branch, it got caught up in my line, the 10" Cutty got away and my dad tailed the Bull it in a shallow riffle. It taped out at 29", we took a pic, and my Grandpa had it to show all of his buddies, he's since passed on and I can't find it at my Gram's house. If I ever do find it, I'll be sure to post it on here.