Fly Fusion Forums

How Much Weight?

Ok guys, I need some advice. If i am fishing a san juan worm in the bow how much weight should i have on the line and how far above the worm should the wieght be? Do i want the worm to bump the bottom or should it be slightly above? I am fishing with a floating line. I would appreciate your help!

Thanks

Peter

The actual amount of weight is going to depend on the depth and speed of the water you are fishing at that particular time. But yes, you usually want your SJW to be suspended just off the bottom. You can use a weighted SJW or add split shot 8 to 12" above your fly.

A question with a million answers. Right now, I would venture to say that if you are using a wire worm, no additional weight is necessary as you will typically be fishing slower water. As the year goes on and you fish faster and faster water, you may need additional weight (though I know people who never let the nymphs hit the bottom-and they catch fish too!).

However, s really smart kid (and some smart older people too) told me that if you aren't hanging the bottom every couple of casts, you are fishing too light. But you MUST set the hook whether you think it is bottom or not. You may feel foolish doing so at first, but after several times where the "bottom" becomes trout, you won't feel so foolish.

• 2 weeks later...
However, s really smart kid (and some smart older people too) told me that if you aren't hanging the bottom every couple of casts, you are fishing too light. But you MUST set the hook whether you think it is bottom or not. You may feel foolish doing so at first, but after several times where the "bottom" becomes trout, you won't feel so foolish.

Hahahahaha, how true this is rick.

Yesterday I was out and was wondering if I was too heavy and dragging bottom when I hit the same rock 2 times before. Swearing a bit I went to break off when all of a sudden the damn thing took off on me, WTF.........

As for the weight thing, I use 20gauage red electrical wire. Seems to work great and I wrap it once on a #6 ALL PURPOSE hook, if I need more weight I just put on a heavier barrel swivel.

Hahahahaha, how true this is rick.

Yesterday I was out and was wondering if I was too heavy and dragging bottom when I hit the same rock 2 times before. Swearing a bit I went to break off when all of a sudden the damn thing took off on me, WTF.........

As for the weight thing, I use 20gauage red electrical wire. Seems to work great and I wrap it once on a #6 ALL PURPOSE hook, if I need more weight I just put on a heavier barrel swivel.

Awsome thanks!