Fly Fusion Forums

Single Handed Spey Line

Keith

Lines that are used for Spey casting are quite different in design than normal single hand WF lines that are used for overhead casting.

For Spey casting, more weight/mass is needed in the rear portion of the lines belly to load the rod when the "D Loop" is formed. Most Spey lines also need a longer front taper so that the front portion of the line that is lying on the water, creating an "Anchor", will lift off the surface easily or the forward cast will loose its energy from the stick of the line too the waters surface tension. The longer the line, the longer the front taper will usually need to be, or the cast will lose its forward energy.

Skagit lines that have very little or no front taper, are made shorter and really heavy in the rear portion of the belly, to load the rod deeply and minimize the amount of line Anchoring on the water at the start of the forward cast, which allows for a powerfull turn over. The new Compact/Short Skagit heads, in both single hand and two hand sizes, have achieved a nice balance of mass/taper/length. For single hand Spey casting, it's equally as important to keep the rod/head length ratio in balance, as it is when two hand spey casting. Most regular WF lines have head lengths that are much too long for effective spey casts with single hand rods. Also, the weight/mass of single hand WF lines is too evenly distributed through the belly and front tapers, making the rear portion of the bellys too light to create a D Loop that will have sufficient mass to load the rod effectively.

I really like the specs of the new SA Skagit Single Multi Tip line for Spey casting with single handers and switch rods.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...leHandMultiTip/

I just took out the line and stretched it out a bit and it seems fine inside so I am thinking it doesn't do so well in the cold. If this stupid weather would finally cooperate I could test that theory lol

Also for anyone that has the green shooting head 40+, do your fingers turn all green after fiddling with it?? I am sure it will go away the more I use it but its kinda funny for now. Check out my gloves after fishing today and stripping in the line a bunch lol

green_gloves.JPG

that looks like bow river water too me... make sure not too stretch you line too much or too hard.. you can seperate the core from the outter plastic core and give you line weak spots and it will coil more.. just lightly limp/stretch the line if need be

All the Airflo stuff - lines, shooting heads, running lines - turn my hands orange when they're new. Kind of looks like I just ate a big bag of Cheetos or something. It goes away after some use so it may just be something from the line coating.

ive seen this also but oddly enough never had a issue with it on any of my airflo lines... not sure if it has something too do with me dunking my lines and reels lots or jsut a few bad lines out there that too seep color.....

This has only happened to me with Airflo lines, even fresh out of the box when I first take them off the spool and put them on the reel. Everywhere the line passes through my fingers it leaves an orange residue. Usually after a few outings it doesn't happen any more, but whenever I clean my line and dry it by passing it through a cloth the cloth turns orange. Has happened with Scandi Compacts, Skagit Compacts, 40+, and Ridge running line. Even those white fluffy twist ties that they use to keep the line on the spool in the box will have orange on them. Not a deal breaker for me, just an odd occurrence.