Fly Fusion Forums

How To Put Flies In Fly Box Right

Hi, Ok, I'm not sure where to post this post, I have my fly box, Making nice Flies with wicked hackles, how would the best way to put them in my box, I have the foam kind with ridges, it looks like there's a certin way of putting them in the box. when I bought my box the kid at the shop he didn't know squat about it... So this is the place to ask.

Thank-you.,

any way u choose really... to me it dont matter.. pretty flies catch fish but buggy mangled flies catch more fish!!!!! best way too keep the hackles all nice if u wish would be too stick then on teh face of teh bump not the ramp........ if that makes any sense!!! best part is do it how u like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

any way u choose really... to me it dont matter.. pretty flies catch fish but buggy mangled flies catch more fish!!!!! best way too keep the hackles all nice if u wish would be too stick then on teh face of teh bump not the ramp........ if that makes any sense!!! best part is do it how u like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Thanks for you reply, I can read and understand every word you put there! How wild is that!

Absolutely agree with Maxwell. Hook in the ramp, hackles off the face.

My personal preference beyond that, is to arrange them by species, color and size in the ridged part of the box. For attractors like Royal Wulff or The Usual, anywhere is fine for me. The lid of my dry fly box is flat foam and that's where I put the big hoppers and little floating terrestrials like ants and beetles.

I use a different box for sub-surface things like nymphs, brassies, scuds and streamers.

In general, I try to remember to put enough space between them to get my fingers in there. I have a tweezers in my tying kit, but not in my vest, so I've got to be able to pluck them out of the box, even with frozen fingers.

No matter how you decide to arrange them, be sure to let them dry before storing for any period of time to avoid rust. Also, go through the box and clip out tippet ends you may have left on a used fly, remove any hopelessly unwound flies, bent hooks, broken points and so on.

I agree with Max. You will see that flies that were chewed by fish or banged on rocks are irresistible for those old(vise?) trouts. It might be so that as you catch fish with a fly you become more confident fishing them (and that shows!). I know people chewing them... :) (do not recommend that, band them around if want some wear ;D)

Otherwise, order them by color/size/ and weight. Obviously, I have different box for different types. If you want durable insert, use nubby ones.