Fly Fusion Forums

Large Arbor Cartridge Reels

Conor

I am thinking of getting a cartridge reel for my do-it-all Bow rod.

I am not going as far as a Demon, mostly out of principal. I'd prefer under $200, but I'll spend more if needed. I just feel that this style of cartridge system is not a lifetime reel, by nature, so I'd like to keep cost down, a bit.

Any experience with a large arbor cartridge system? Model/brand recs?

I don't have any exp. with cartridge reels per se, but the concept seems great!! Snowbee and Grey's both have cartridge models that I know of... There was a few people selling some on the trading post a while back...

P

I am not going as far as a Demon, mostly out of principal. I'd prefer under $200, but I'll spend more if needed. I just feel that this style of cartridge system is not a lifetime reel, by nature, so I'd like to keep cost down, a bit.

Yeah, I remember that post. Kinda what got me thinking about this.

I'm looking at Greys, Snowbee, STH, Cortland, Amundsun, Orvis, Vision Korma and maybe some others.

I'm leaning hard to the Vision Korma in the non-cartridge model, as spools are only $35 and the 5/6 6/7 spools are interchangeable (they have the same body with different spool shapes, I guess). I plan on spooling 6-8 wt lines on this reel, so this feature would be great. Otherwise, I'll end up with either a oversized 6 wt or undersized 8 wt.

Conor, the Snowbee is a decent system. It does what it's supposed to and it's solidly built. But it's not the nicest looking reel and it's a little heavy. I can't recall exactly what the cartridges are made of, but although they appear to be very strong they do feel like plastic, if that matters to you at all. I only used mine a handful of times so unfortunately I can't give you a really comprehensive review. Hope this helps!

AS a fly fisher for years many of us had to rely on STH or the BFR cartridge reel systems. Either reel has a drag worth a damn but that is what we had. Several years ago Snowbee took the bull by the horn and developed their XSD cartridge reel system...not using bearings because of the inherent issues with Bearings!,but rather a series of Stainless and "teflon type" discs. The result was a sensational reel that performs as needed when needed. My fisrt experiences with this reel were during the Salt Water Beach fishery for Salmon here on Vancouver Island...the reels worked splendidly,no issues,although still needing to be rinsed after use ,a good thing. Next came the Large Chinook Salmon(up to 40 lbs) cruising up area rivers,during some days we were hooking into more that 20 fish and agian these reels worked as stated. However,the first size reels were the "780 (7/8)"...now Snowbee does this reel system in a 460(Trout) and 1112(Spey)...

You must understand that the needs of a reel in these parts are quite different than most,but if that reel can withstand this abuse then it will certainly fill the bill.

The bodies are cast aluminum and powder coated and the cartridges are a lexan composite needing no support because of design...

As a note here the "780" is also available in the High End CNC machined version retailing at near $350.00...the Die Cast versions all retail for less than $180.00

And these will be available at the new fly shop on the River

C

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Mr. C

Have the SnowBee cassette system for Spey. Now carry more than one line sytem

because of no hassle quick change. Eye candy it isn't and yeah it is a little on the heavey side but

the drag sytem is really great. The flexibility of the quick line change more than

offsets the perceived weight issue. Don't let the price scare you off it's a work horse.

I think one of the better bangs for your buck.