Fly Fusion Forums

Line Advice

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

Hi Guys

This weekend I want to pick up two new lines. Since I mainly nymph fish, I'm thinking I should buy a line specifically designed for that. It looks like I have two choices: the SA Nymph Specialty Taper and the Rio Nymph line.. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

As for the sink tip, there seems to be a lot more choice here. I'm thinking about the SA Streamer Express, which also comes in a clear tip version. SA also makes a few versions of the Wet Tip. The Quad Tip also looks interesting.

Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should go in a completely different direction, I'm listening.

Thanks guys and good luck this weekend if you're fishing.

Neil

hey dude i personally dont like the nymph lines... they cast alright if u chop the first 5 feet off.. if it were me get teh airflow 40+ awsome line for nymphs or streamers and for a streamer line i like rio's streamer line.. rio has a multi tip set up also... awsome idea... kinda like what we talked about with making your own tips but its all done for ya!!!!

I've used both the SA Nymph Taper and the Rio Nymph extensively. But, never for "nymphing". Those are my preferred lines for chironomiding with long leaders and strike indicators.

For actual nymphing in spring and fall, on the stillwater shoals and drop-offs I prefer the SA XPS.

For sinktips, I build my own from a Floating Braided PE Mono shooting line and various lengths of T-14.

j

Jayvee,

The 40+ is a great line for it's intended purpose but has some flaw's indentified by most

-Welded loop from head to running line can be a nuisance for some

-Unless the complete head is outside the guides they can be awkward to use, fully dependant on the caster

-The original 40+ers had issues with coiling in cold weather, my last of 2 purchased had zero issues so I believe airflo sorted this.

-I would relook at what your useage will be (as you mostly nymph fish), Would it be used for dry fly? hopper droppers?

Max is right, they sure can cast....

Regards

Dean

Neil,

I'm no "Pro", but I like the SA Streamer Express (though I have chopped 10' off and tied loops to each end. For fishing weighted streamers on the Bow it seems to work better, and if I'm fishing for bullies at Lower K Lakes, for example, I can replace the 10' section and go for the big boys!). I'm liking the quad tip idea that Max mentioned - same concept, but already done for you, plus 3 more options!!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Guys

This weekend I want to pick up two new lines. Since I mainly nymph fish, I'm thinking I should buy a line specifically designed for that. It looks like I have two choices: the SA Nymph Specialty Taper and the Rio Nymph line.. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

As for the sink tip, there seems to be a lot more choice here. I'm thinking about the SA Streamer Express, which also comes in a clear tip version. SA also makes a few versions of the Wet Tip. The Quad Tip also looks interesting.

Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should go in a completely different direction, I'm listening.

Thanks guys and good luck this weekend if you're fishing.

Neil

Know the minimum I can get by with about big water nymphin' but for a streamer/sink tip type of line? Teeny T 130 or T200. The stuff is slick shoots well and gets down to the fish fast JUst haul it in till the head is inside your guides, roll cast to aerialize it, one false cast and shoot the line with a single haul. Make sure you have a real good backin' knot because you will be seeing it.

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html?con...g/catIntro.html

-The original 40+ers had issues with coiling in cold weather, my last of 2 purchased had zero issues so I believe airflo sorted this.

The last 40+ I bought in December 2008 still had this issue. Not sure if it was older stock though. I haven't had any coiling with the newer Airflo Skagit Compacts though so that could be the case. Never had cold weather issues with SA lines and really enjoyed the GPX taper as an all around line. I've been using the Loop Opti Stream lines lately and with the short aggressive heads they'll turn over an indy and three nymphs no problem, but they're on the expensive side.

Guest JayVee

Thanks for all the suggestions here. I've done some thinking and am now going an entirely different route. I'll probably buy the Airflo floating line and Rio sink tips for when I want to Streamer fish. This will save me from buying a spare spool. Would there be anything wrong with that?

Ok cool. The 15' sink tips might have been tough to cast with the 40+ line unless you cut them back. One tip with the Airflo polyleaders - they come with a length of looped mono at the front so you can do a loop to loop connection with your tippet. Cut the mono off and make a nail knot loop out of the polyleader material instead. I found out the hard way that the mono to polyleader connection has fairly low break strength.

• 1 year later...

What type of nymphing? Is this the Bow or smaller waters?

What type of streamer fishing, the Bow or small streams and what time of the year?

Sorry to ask, but the dynamics of the two tactics can vary tremendously based on what you are doing. For example, if you are doing streamer fishing, picking out fish from pocket water or anything less than waist deep all the time, a floating line will work if you weight your flies. Nervy trout sure don't want to be knocked on the head with heavy lines following through. But, longer, heavier st lines may be applicable if you are asking about streamer fishing perpetually deeper water or fishing early in the year.

I didn't pick up from your post what you will be focussing on nor where (though the Bow is the defacto assumption), so it is difficult for a directed answer. But this is about your fishing, nobody else's, so why not give yourself the best end product purchase. :)

What type of nymphing? Is this the Bow or smaller waters?

What type of streamer fishing, the Bow or small streams and what time of the year?

Sorry to ask, but the dynamics of the two tactics can vary tremendously based on what you are doing. For example, if you are doing streamer fishing, picking out fish from pocket water or anything less than waist deep all the time, a floating line will work if you weight your flies. Nervy trout sure don't want to be knocked on the head with heavy lines following through. But, longer, heavier st lines may be applicable if you are asking about streamer fishing perpetually deeper water or fishing early in the year.

I didn't pick up from your post what you will be focussing on nor where (though the Bow is the defacto assumption), so it is difficult for a directed answer. But this is about your fishing, nobody else's, so why not give yourself the best end product purchase. :)

Sorry Dave.. I bumped a year old thread with my reply because I prefer re-using old threads versus starting new ones. I'm sure the OP has purchased his line and been using it for awhile now..

Sorry Dave.. I bumped a year old thread with my reply because I prefer re-using old threads versus starting new ones. I'm sure the OP has purchased his line and been using it for awhile now..

I bought that line last week for my 5wt. for dry fly fishing on the Bow.

Love it. Casts beautifully.

I've had this 4' peice of sink line in my vest for years and have no idea when and how i should use it. Is it strictly for river fishing or would it work in lakes as well?Any suggestions,ideas would be great...and I mean any. Thx.

I'm no pro, but from what I understand, it can work in both situations, but I tend to use mine specifically in river situations when I need to get a streamer down quickly in fast and/or deep water (swinging)... Jack also posted a suggestion a while back where they (on the coast for steelies) add a 4' section (or so) of 40 lb mono in between - allows the leader/sink tip to sit parallel to the bottom (I think that's the idea). Haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable!

P

I've had this 4' peice of sink line in my vest for years and have no idea when and how i should use it. Is it strictly for river fishing or would it work in lakes as well?Any suggestions,ideas would be great...and I mean any. Thx.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok cool. The 15' sink tips might have been tough to cast with the 40+ line unless you cut them back. One tip with the Airflo polyleaders - they come with a length of looped mono at the front so you can do a loop to loop connection with your tippet. Cut the mono off and make a nail knot loop out of the polyleader material instead. I found out the hard way that the mono to polyleader connection has fairly low break strength.

Bought the Airflo 40+ and use the Rio intermediate and fast sink tip 15 foot lines with it. Had no issues at all using loops that I made for it.