Fly Fusion Forums

If Birchy Gets A Joke Of The Week

I'm going on vacation, so figured I'd take a parting shot in the form of a story.

We moved from Texas to Louisiana when I was 7 years old. My dad was the maintenance supervisor at a large Union Carbide chemical refinery. On one of his first day's, some of his crew bet him they could drown a fly and bring it back to life. Sensing a setup, but wanting to get to know his crew, he bet $10 (this is 1967, so real money). The boys take a glass of water, put a fly in, cover it, turn it upside down, flip it back, over and over until the fly is "dead". Then, they remove the fly, put it in a napkin, sprinkle salt on it, close their hand around it and say some mumbo jumbo, shake it up, open the hand and out flies the fly. (the fly obviously does not drown, just goes into stasis. The salt removes the water and voila, live fly)

Dad laughs, says "I'll be damned" and coughs up the 10 spot.

About a year later, another new guy shows up. My dad pulls him aside and explains the gag the guys are about to play on him. Tells him to appear very sceptical, set a bunch of conditions, one of them being let the fly stay in the water for an hour. And bet $20 instead of $10 and that they will split the money. Sure enough the old boys run the gag, agree to the one hour, drown the fly during morning break, leave it in the glass and go back to work. A short time later dad comes in and sticks a pin in the fly's head and puts it back in the water. The boys come back after the hour, do the mumbo jumbo thing, and no resurrection. They do it again, shaking harder, still nothing. Try again, starting to panic and dad chimes in with "I think that fly had a heart attack or somthin'. Now get back to work." The boys sense a setup, but don't know what happened, so grudginly pony up the 20 an slink back to work.

Dad tells them about the trick about a year later. They try to get their money back. Dad tells them serves them right for tricking the boss, and to never bullshit a bullshitter!