Fly Fusion Forums

Not A Good Use For The Coast Line Of Bc

I say this with all due repect in a non-argumentative tone.

My hometown, situated on a estuary bay system, is basically one big oil refinery. We supply a big chunk of the gasoline and other petro-chem products to North America. We've done our part, it is way past time for other areas of the continent to do their share. Last time I checked, BC people drive cars and the province benefits from gas drilling in NE BC. You will undoubtedly drive your cars in the future with fuel refined from the tar sands. You can't claim immunity from any of the potential hazards associated with these activities. With all due repect, your coast is no more special than anyone elses.

For those who disagree, and I'm sure many will, try to be civil in your discussion.

I say this with all due repect in a non-argumentative tone.

My hometown, situated on a estuary bay system, is basically one big oil refinery. We supply a big chunk of the gasoline and other petro-chem products to North America. We've done our part, it is way past time for other areas of the continent to do their share. Last time I checked, BC people drive cars and the province benefits from gas drilling in NE BC. You will undoubtedly drive your cars in the future with fuel refined from the tar sands. You can't claim immunity from any of the potential hazards associated with these activities. With all due repect, your coast is no more special than anyone elses.

For those who disagree, and I'm sure many will, try to be civil in your discussion.

very well said Rick, I agree 100% NE BC has more gas than northern Alberta, it truly would be a shame to see an ecological disaster anywhere in regards to a spill or such but BC is no differnt from anywhere else .. you can't have your cake and eat it too ..

• 3 months later...

From the headline of the petition:

"For 37 years the coastal waters of northern British Columbia have been protected from oil tanker traffic. This ban is now under threat."

Well, I live in BC and have spent some time in most of the major ports of BC, in particular the ones with oil refineries. If the above is true, then the tankers I've seen off-loading must have been a mirage.

In addition, BC has experienced more pipeline spills than the entire West Coast of North America has accounted for tanker spills.

I'm sorry, I like my truck, I like our standard of living, I like our way of life. I'm willing to participate and contribute in life.

j

Honestly there is not enough FACTS, what I see is mostly speculations on what could happen, it also states that there has been a ban sinc way back, so if that statement is true how do they know what will happen.

Not to sound rude but all it sounds like to me is a bunch of tree huggers looking for something to complain about.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to sound rude but all it sounds like to me is a bunch of tree huggers looking for something to complain about.

..unless you have lived in my shoes m8...your words do sound rude and disrespectful, for this province of Alberta is ruled and govern by Corporation 100%, and if ppl in BC shows and stands up to the nation by being more 'environmentally' concern, then this action should rub off to you ppl here, for the government of that province is NOT run by corp but by the people of the province!

..and if you really open Ur eyes and ears you will see and hear that the ppl in this province..AB..whine far louder and longer than a BC ers, but still allows the Corps to use them as sheep..........................................Wolfie

..unless you have lived in my shoes m8...your words do sound rude and disrespectful, for this province of Alberta is ruled and govern by Corporation 100%, and if ppl in BC shows and stands up to the nation by being more 'environmentally' concern, then this action should rub off to you ppl here, for the government of that province is NOT run by corp but by the people of the province!

..and if you really open Ur eyes and ears you will see and hear that the ppl in this province..AB..whine far louder and longer than a BC ers, but still allows the Corps to use them as sheep..........................................Wolfie

How do they heat their homes and drive their cars? That's all I want to know. If my furnace didn't run on gas i'd be burning wood. Lesser of two evils?

How do they heat their homes and drive their cars? That's all I want to know. If my furnace didn't run on gas i'd be burning wood. Lesser of two evils?

having read many of ur posts, you have given me the impression that you are in need of great attention, just by ur replies, well considering you believe that you are an intelligent individual, your question has no real value, for unless you believe like a lot of uninformed Americans that Canadians live in 'ice huts', eat blubber,kiss with their noses, etc., asking how ppl would fuel their cars, or heat their homes, is like me telling you to "either .... or get off the pot".. totally irrelevant! ......................................................Wolfie

Hey Wolfie, did you happen to see "Administrator" underneath SanJuanWorm's name? Just so you know, he is the fellow that started this site and continues to maintain and moderate it. May I suggest being careful with your replies especially considering you just became a member?

By the way your post in response to SJW's reaks of arrogance.

Hey Wolfie, did you happen to see "Administrator" underneath SanJuanWorm's name? Just so you know, he is the fellow that started this site and continues to maintain and moderate it. May I suggest being careful with your replies especially considering you just became a member?

By the way your post in response to SJW's reaks of arrogance.

actually I didn't notice that he was the Admin..well if he is then why would he state what he did...was that to see if he could get a rise out of me..well, if that was the intention, then I guess he succeeded..and because I have no tolerance towards ppl who like to give the impression they are better than others...I bit quite hard...and if it is the choice of the Admin not to allow me to be a member in this group because I have strong convictions, then so be it, and as far as being 'arrogant'..no sir...just someone who stands up for himself no matter what..........................Wolfie

...was that to see if he could get a rise out of me..well, if that was the intention, then I guess he succeeded..

SJW response was "How do they heat their homes and drive their cars? That's all I want to know. If my furnace didn't run on gas i'd be burning wood. Lesser of two evils?"

I could hardly imagine there was any intent in SJW's reply to try and get a "rise" out of you. It was a simple question. Maybe the topic itself got the better of you, but then again, maybe not...

On a side note, I'd be interested to know why you say "if ppl in BC shows and stands up to the nation by being more 'environmentally' concern, then this action should rub off to you ppl here." Do you really think the average Albertan is going to fly off on an environmentally concerned tangent because a few people in BC decide to do so? I don't think so.

It has always been my opinion that the majority of people in Alberta are willing to allow the environment to be destroyed as long as that means their standard of living is maintained. That is, as long as is doesn’t happen in their backyard.

actually I didn't notice that he was the Admin..well if he is then why would he state what he did...was that to see if he could get a rise out of me..well, if that was the intention, then I guess he succeeded..and because I have no tolerance towards ppl who like to give the impression they are better than others...I bit quite hard...and if it is the choice of the Admin not to allow me to be a member in this group because I have strong convictions, then so be it, and as far as being 'arrogant'..no sir...just someone who stands up for himself no matter what..........................Wolfie

Seriously i'd like to know how you get from A to B. Do you drive? How do you heat your home?

These are valid questions. Oil spills are the price we pay for being oil hungry. If you are using petroleum products and then go ahead and protest, you instantly become a hypocryte.

Discuss. Admin or not. I'm not being rude. I'm simply stating my opinion. I'd never ban anyone for a good argument.

It has always been my opinion that the majority of people in Alberta are willing to allow the environment to be destroyed as long as that means their standard of living is maintained. That is, as long as is doesn’t happen in their backyard.

..well if more ppl in this province felt like you do then tell me why do they allow a Corp to run them as puppets...is it the almighty $$$$..they must be pretty blind then if they think it won't happen in their backyard..hell the change from 30 years ago to today proves it had happen in their backyards!...........Wolfie

..well if more ppl in this province felt like you do then tell me why do they allow a Corp to run them as puppets...is it the almighty $$$$..they must be pretty blind then if they think it won't happen in their backyard..hell the change from 30 years ago to today proves it had happen in their backyards!...........Wolfie

I never stated that's the way I feel,nor did I say Albertans were blind to think it won't happen in their backyard. It's very obvious what is going on in Albertan, at least to anyone with one eye open.

I don't have to like it, I just see it now as a means to provide. What I do note while working on rigs here is how many environmental steps they must take. I worked in Louisiana and its brutal down there with EVERYTHING. At least here we are governed by the board for strict environmental rules.

Am I to say that 70% of our province is employed by oil and gas?

well if one eye is open, why don't they open both eyes and at the same time smell the Alberta Rose..

..as far as 70% of the ppl here owing their living to the gas and oil, that I can't answer, cause that is not what brought me here ..I'm in a different, oh ya, way different means of extracting $$$$ from here. However, if it wasn't for the gas/oil , which brought the reason I'm here, I'd still be back on the Island , or perhaps moved to a different island.

If it wasn't for oil and gas I'd be on the Island too.

you know what they say.........never wish to loud, stranger things has happened..and at the rate that has been stated on the news of late, it really doesn't look to promising for gas/oil trade......................Wolfie