Fly Fusion Forums

Useful Tip For Sorting Out Your Cast

alhuger

All,

I have got a problem where I often screw up my forward stroke, it does not always follow a straight path and the result on the cast is not pretty. Typically when this happens I get a tailing loop which snags my line and blows my presentation. When I am out on the water I hate to have to re-factor cast after cast particularly because if I am steelheading or fishing for salmon as my time is really finite and valuable. I only get the opportunity to hunt big fish every so often and I want to spend that time fishing, not fixing my cast.

What I have been doing to train myself out of it is just practicing the mechanics of the stroke with just the handle section of the rod. It allows me to see right away if my forward or back cast have deviance any of type. It helps me get used to what a good cast should feel like in terms of arm movement. It also helped me to get used to pulling down with my bottom hand versus my instinctual habit of pushing with the top hand (I fish skagit, not long/mid belly).

It's been a useful tip, I would suggest it to anyone facing the same or similar issues. This along with concentrating on anchor placement (and SFD) have been the two biggest factors to helping me manage my cast into something more consistently fishable.

al