Fly Fusion Forums

Backswimmers

cheeler

Got caught without any backswimmer patterns during mating season last fall, so I decided to tie up a few foam ones. Got the idea from http://www.westernsportfishing.ca/flyofmonth.htm but I didn't find any sheet foam in the color I needed; Fortunately I found some pre shaped bodies that were exactly what I needed. Since it was preshaped foam, I found the easiest way to get it on the hook was zap a gap. The underbody is holographic silver tinsel, and the entire thing is coated in shiny head cement (Hard as Nails) to give it a nice shine. The foam would also be handy if you need to use markers to imitate the natural while out on the water. These are size 10, but there are smaller sizes of foam available.

backswimmers.jpg

Where did you find the bodies...having a heck of a time tracking down them (or similar...can't tell if yours are the same from the picture).

Instead of glueing them on, I take a razor blade and cut a slit in them and them place them on the hook that way. Aquaseal holds everything in place.

The pattern I use is Jennings Ultimate Boatman.

I got em at Wholesale too. The razor slit looks sleeker, but i wonder if losing the silver tinsel on the bottom would make a difference? Can't find it now, but a pic I saw of one swimming really did look like it had a silver shine on the bottom. I guess I could always cut and glue to attach some.