Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Warranty Service Experience

headscan

Usually whenever someone posts about a company's warranty service it's to complain, so I thought I'd post this positive experience. The tape on the stocking feet of my Simms G3 waders became detached a little while ago. I used the new Simms online warranty and repair page to submit the claim. It gives you a handy mailing label to print out (though you still have to pay for the shipping yourself). You instantly receive an email with your RA# and a link to check on the repair status. Then received another email to let me know they had received my waders, followed by another telling me the warranty repair status was approved. Then received a phone call from them to let me know the repairs were complete and verify the return address followed by another email saying the waders had been shipped back to me.

The amount of communication was pretty impressive compared to other warranty services I've dealt with in the past (both for fly fishing gear and other things like electronics). The turnaround was decent too - they received them Feb. 17th and shipped them back today. Can't wait to get them back now so I don't have to use these cheapo spare ones with zero insulation any more.

Marc,

Glad you had a good exp. I'd be curious to see if customs charges you duty/brokerage on the returned warrentee repair... I've experienced both. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Peter

Usually whenever someone posts about a company's warranty service it's to complain, so I thought I'd post this positive experience. The tape on the stocking feet of my Simms G3 waders became detached a little while ago. I used the new Simms online warranty and repair page to submit the claim. It gives you a handy mailing label to print out (though you still have to pay for the shipping yourself). You instantly receive an email with your RA# and a link to check on the repair status. Then received another email to let me know they had received my waders, followed by another telling me the warranty repair status was approved. Then received a phone call from them to let me know the repairs were complete and verify the return address followed by another email saying the waders had been shipped back to me.

The amount of communication was pretty impressive compared to other warranty services I've dealt with in the past (both for fly fishing gear and other things like electronics). The turnaround was decent too - they received them Feb. 17th and shipped them back today. Can't wait to get them back now so I don't have to use these cheapo spare ones with zero insulation any more.

For future ref., get them to list item as $20 and then they won't charge you brokerage!

P

Yeah, when they phoned I made sure they were shipping the waders back to me via USPS and not a certain courier company with similar initials. I was charged a $30 "brokerage" fee once for warranty replacement on a butt section for a Sage rod by them.

I just got a total warranty replacement from Norm @ Norlander of a set of fine point jaws......N/C he marked it as a gift and no duty or brokerage fees. This item he replaced was about 2o years old and has a CDN value of about $130

Just to clarify on the Sage warranty return - I spoke to Sage after I was charged for the brokerage and they said they had to mark the actual replacement value of the butt section for insurance purposes. If not and the package was lost then they would only get $20 for it. This was over a year ago, so I don't recall how much exactly they listed the value at, but they did very clearly and specifically mark it as being warranty replacement. I do not fault Sage for this at all. Unfortunately, I had the replacement shipped to my office since there's always someone around to receive it during business hours. The package showed up shortly after I went out to grab some lunch, so a coworker thought he would be helpful and paid to receive it. If I had been there I would have refused to pay and sign for it. I called the courier service afterwards to complain, but the attitude seemed to be that since they ahd already taken the money there was no way they were giving it back. I chalk it up as a lesson learned and will no longer deal with any online retailers that only ship items via that company.

Just to clarify on the Sage warranty return - I spoke to Sage after I was charged for the brokerage and they said they had to mark the actual replacement value of the butt section for insurance purposes. If not and the package was lost then they would only get $20 for it. This was over a year ago, so I don't recall how much exactly they listed the value at, but they did very clearly and specifically mark it as being warranty replacement. I do not fault Sage for this at all. Unfortunately, I had the replacement shipped to my office since there's always someone around to receive it during business hours. The package showed up shortly after I went out to grab some lunch, so a coworker thought he would be helpful and paid to receive it. If I had been there I would have refused to pay and sign for it. I called the courier service afterwards to complain, but the attitude seemed to be that since they ahd already taken the money there was no way they were giving it back. I chalk it up as a lesson learned and will no longer deal with any online retailers that only ship items via that company.

Made the same discussion long ago. However you can have hit shipped to a friend in the states.

Bought the original Simms Guides back in 2001 ( paid about 650 bucks!!!! damn loonie) and have since owned 2 more pair of waders through replacement from Simms on defective seams. Their warranty and service is OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Everything I own for apparrel is Simms for this reason. I did spend a lot of coin over the years on their products but they returned in spades with great wader service.

They used to be the most expensive but now their are others comparable.

When talking with any service/warranty rep it pays to be nice.

Just got them back this morning, so about a week after they sent them which is standard for international parcel post. Not a cent of duty/brokerage/GST to pay on them. Rather than repair the stocking feet they just put new ones on the waders. Very happy with the service.

Über kewl!!

Just got them back this morning, so about a week after they sent them which is standard for international parcel post. Not a cent of duty/brokerage/GST to pay on them. Rather than repair the stocking feet they just put new ones on the waders. Very happy with the service.