Fly Fusion Forums

Bighorn Or Green In Late March

I know there have been a few reports from a while back about the Bighorn. But has anyone fished it in March that might be able to provide some insight (flies, methods, fly shops, accomodations)? A couple of buddies and I are trying to plan a few days of floating down there at the end of march. If anyone has any info on the Green river as well that would be excellent (I've heard it can fish quite well in the early spring).

Have no idea about the fishing (heard it's good, but then again I heard HAT CREEK in california was good too and was dissapointed beyond belief in what they call trophy fishing in the USA) but all I can say about the green (near the damn) is that it's one of the prettiest places in N america... IMHO. have driven over the damn a few times and longed to fish that peice of water.

I fished the Bighorn years ago later in the year. There is tons of fish, both rainbows and browns (and carp). It is similar to the Bow, just a little smaller. A lot of folks nymph with little scuds and sow bugs (#18). The water is very cold as it comes from the bottom of the dam upstream. It is a very productive river but also very busy. When we were there the drift boats were lined up waiting to fish the holes. The fish are heavy and strong just like in the Bow. I would take a good assortment of little mayfly nymphs and midges as well.

I fished the Green a few years ago. Very cool country, good people too. Not exactly sure what time of year I was there, but I'm thinking Mayish. Virtually everyone on the river was knocking the *hit out them with cicadas. I was in the area for work and managed to put two fairly solid walk and wade days in. I caught them on everything, nymphs, dries and streamers. Had the most consistancy with streamers, olive or brown. No monsters, but good, solid fish. It was busy though, I didn't know that many drift boats existed.

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like we'll be hitting the Bighorn this time around. I'll post a report when we get back.

Definately going to check out the green sometime though. The photos I've seen of the canyon section look unreal, and I've heard the cicada hatch can be sporadic at best, but if you hit it right it doesn't get much better!

Tight Lines.