Fly Fusion Forums

Running Lines

headscan

I've now had the chance to test a few different running lines and thought I'd post some of my thoughts and pros/cons.

Airflo Ridge running line - supple and thicker than the others I tried. This stuff seems like it will never coil or turn into a bird's nest. No memory to it at all. But I found that it doesn't shoot as well as the others I tried. Also found that it sticks a little more because it's heavier, so it doesn't mend as well. Nice big welded loop on the front, but they should put one on the back as well. Priciest of the running lines I've tried.

SA Floating Mono - thicker than other mono running lines. Shoots well and picks up off the water easily. No loops so you either have to tie them in yourself or tie directly to your backing and head. Because it's thicker than other mono lines the knot when you tie a loop in is quite bulky and can hang up in your guides. Has a fair bit of memory to it and coils horribly in the cold. Pricey for mono.

Monic running line - really thin, shoots well, and doesn't coil in the cold and has zero memory. I have only two complaints about this line: the welded loops are small so you can't fit a reel or spool through it and the sleeve at the weld ices up quickly. Mend nicely and picks up easily. If the loops were bigger and they didn't have those sleeves this would be a near perfect running line.

RIO Slick Shooter - shoots like nobody's business. If your fingers are cold it can sometimes be difficult to get a good grasp on it. It doesn't have loops in it, but the diameter is small enough that a surgeon's or perfection loop with a bit of knot sense goes through the guides easily. It can coil in the cold and has some memory to it. I soaked the line in hot water then stretched it out before putting it on a reel. I also have it on a reel with a really large arbour and give it a little stretch before I start fishing. Just by doing that I've fished it in the cold the last couple of weeks without any coiling or tangles. You need to put a little work into it, but for about $10 a spool you can't beat this running line.

So which running lines has everyone else tried? Pros/cons?

I've used AF Ridgelines in 20lb for swinging and 30lb for nymphing, the most often and find them to be really good all round shooting lines. Last summer, I used 30lb High Vis Stren Stamina for swing presentations, which shoots incredibly well, but coils visciously in cold weather, even if pre-soaked in water. I liked the .024" Monic, but as you mentioned, tiny loops. I have Frog Hair Shooting lines on order in .024" and .030" and have had very good experiences with Frog Hair products, so I'm really looking forward to trying those out in a couple of weeks.

http://www.froghairfishing.com/fly-fishing.cfm?product=1047