Fly Fusion Forums

Beavers And Cutts

I was fishing my favourite place Monday night and was scared S*&tless by a huge beaver roaming around the pool. The thing was bigger than the dog!! Will the beaver activity drastically affect the feeding habits of the cutties below?

I've encountered 2 beavers on 2 different rivers and neither one affected the fishing. When it swam through the pool I was fishing the fish turned off for about 5 minutes but no longer. Basically once the beaver left the fish were back on. I justs hate it when you don't see them and they slap their tail causing you to have a heart attack, slip on a rock, drop your rod, fall on your butt and feel the squish of the load in your pants.

Hey there Mr. Gingham!

So when do we get to know of your "favourite spot" anyways, huh??????

I would imagine that the beaver would scatter the fish in the same manner a dog swimming through a pool would. But only temporarily. Good time to sit on the bank, have a drink and wait for the fishes to return to normal.

Ever tell you about the time Jessie dove out of the boat at Carseland after a beaver? I think he would have lost had he made contact....that sunuvabitch was a monster! How can something grow that big just by eating wood??????

You don't want any dog taking on a beaver. I've talked to a vet who had to patch up one that did (he was telling me as he was yanking quills out our dog for about the 20th time). The poor dog looked like it had been attacked with a skill saw. Them teeth are serious. But at least the beavers don't seem to cause a lot of trouble for us fishing folk.

Hey there Mr. Gingham!

So when do we get to know of your "favourite spot" anyways, huh??????

I would imagine that the beaver would scatter the fish in the same manner a dog swimming through a pool would. But only temporarily. Good time to sit on the bank, have a drink and wait for the fishes to return to normal.

Ever tell you about the time Jessie dove out of the boat at Carseland after a beaver? I think he would have lost had he made contact....that sunuvabitch was a monster! How can something grow that big just by eating wood??????

Ok, not a beaver story but...

I was fishing with my dad and his friend Carl in Louisiana back in the 70s. It was in Jan or Feb, and we were fishing these holes that had been dredged by oil companies to build up pads for oil wells. Great places to fish in the winter. They were connected by a canal system. So we were running the boat through one of the canals, all with our waders on. No neopremens or breathables in those days, we all had plain jane rubber waders. Anyway, Carl starts shouting "stop the boat", dad does and Carl says, "Look at that Coon!!" We say yeah, so? Carl says "I'm gonna git him!" Being good southerners, we don't question the intelligence of that statment. Anyway, dad idles to the bank the coon is going for, Carl jumps out and runs up the bank. The coon is freakin' huge, like 30 lbs or so. It hits the bank at exactly the same moment as my dad's deranged friend. Carl kicks at the coon. The coon latches on to Carls leg and proceeds to shred the waders, along with Carl's leg. Carl is jumping around screaming and dad deadpans:

"You got 'eem Carl, you got 'eem. Whatcha gonna do with 'eem?" (not sure exactly how to spell the southern him. Sounds like heem without the h)

I swear, I never laughed so hard in my life. The coon runs off and Carl limps back to the boat. Pretty scratched up, but nothing too bad. His waders were toast and he got to fish from the boat, in pain, for the rest of the day. He was really grumpy because he had no alcohol to drink to ease the pain, or deaden the embarrasment. Dad didn't like alcohol on the boat as drinkin was for after fishin!!

I also have a dog takes on nutria rat story. Pretty funny also, but not as funny as Carl and the Coon. Dog takes on Crab is pretty funny as well. I gotta write this stuff down!!