Fly Fusion Forums

What Rod?

hayze07

9140 TCX, or 9143 Z-axis. Both are cannons, and will be able to handle your average chinook and steelhead..match either with a 650gr skagit (though some guys are using 700-750gr skagits on the TCX) and they soar....it's hard to balance chinooks and steel together, as you can fish for steelhead very well with an 8 weight spey, and an above average chinook could make that 8weight into nothing more then splinters...

Give Brian a shout, he has become obsessed with chinook and taken his experiences over the last couple of years, from the Skeena to Alaskan Rivers, and turned it into some pretty interesting gear recommendations, that actually work. 14' rods for chinook are out the window, 12'6"-13' are absolutely the best for landing the big boys. Anytime after about 11:30 AM MST you can get him and chat him up:

1-888-822-3474 Whistler Fly Fishing.

j

i have the loop megaloop reel and was wondering what rod would be a good balance for chinook and steelhead? on northwest bc rivers. Also wondering if any one is selling a loop opti 9132 or 9140

The Megaloop is a great reel to match up with shorter spey rods. I have used it on my 15'ers as well, but prefer my Loop Classic to balance out the longer sticks which tend to be a bit tip heavy. I think the Opti 9132 would be an awesome match with the Megaloop reel for Steelhead, Chinooks, Atlantics etc., but good luck finding a used Opti Spey rod for sale, in any size...Seems most owners really love these rods as I've not seen a used one for sale. I have an Opti 8124 and have no plans on parting with it for quite some time. Very sweet rods!

14' rods for chinook are out the window, 12'6"-13' are absolutely the best for landing the big boys.

check out the link for the 'pro's of spey castings for chinooks' reccomendations..i see quite a few rods over 13 feet (only one rod is under 13 feet..and one is two feet over 13 feet..!)..including Brians (not by much, but still over 13')

http://deneki.blogspot.com/2009/01/king-rig-roundup.html

I know i'd be listening to what these guys have to say

Hi Guys,

There really is not that much difference between 13ft and 14ft rod as far as landing big fish is concerned, the real difference is how you play the TRY and control the fish.

A 14ft Double -handed rod with some back bone will out perform a 13ft noodle when landing fish. :D

Gordo.

Gordo is absolutely right...the only issue with very big fish ,,,20 lbs and up...is that the in close work is a bit more difficult in relationship to the rod's length. we never control a big fish..it is in matters of degree ,having a good and smooth drag system has saved many rods and landed more fish.

Today I fished the CND 13' Expert Spey 5/6/7...very nice rod for sure...but would be not a good choice should I be fishing Chinook or Chum. On the other side of that coin my Snowbee Tamar 12'6" has landed me very many fish in excess of 30 lbs. and this past September landed One near 50 lbs. Lucky ...maybe not,a good reel,good line and rod that could muster up enough guts to create a dynamic between pull,resistance/drag and leader strength(20 lb).

Have fun

C