Fly Fusion Forums

Need Suggestions For A Rod Size(great Lakes Tribs)

robertrossi

hey guys i was wondering if anyone can help me in choosing a rod size , make and reel for fishing greatlakes steelhed. i do want a rod heavy enough for steelhead and salmon but that i could possibly use for heavy trouting as well. maybe this isnt possible? any help is good help thanks..

i havnt fished for them big rainbows out in teh greatlakes but i would say something in teh 8wt variety would suffice. 9 or 9'6" would be my ideal choice. i toss a 8wt single hander for streamers on teh bow, pike, bulls and im sure could handle some rainbows in teh 5-15lb range

I'm no expert but I would go with an minimum 8 or 9 weight. Those bruisers will give you a run for you money. A 7 weight might be a tad light, although I've seen a couple 7's that should have been rated 8ths. The thing is out there you never know what you are going to run in to. You want to be able to control the fish. Don't forget large arbor reel with lots of backing.

I used a 9wt while there for the Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Huron runs... never know when you'll get into chinooks, big lakers (Niagara), or "fresh" steelhead. There are also lake run browns which are fun if you can find them.

You can also use the 9wt for carp, drum and cats, as well as pike and musky if you've got the chance.

All those species within a couple hours drive of southern Ontario.

Contact some of the flyshops out that way for info... Grindstone Angling was a great place in Waterdown and Grand River Troutfitters was good in Fergus.

There are shops more dedicated to migratory fish too.

Oh and for the reel... get something with a good drag. Unlike most trout fishing, you'll need the drag.

A longer rod will help with line management and mending, which you will do alot of.

If I went back to Ontario I would get a 8-9wt switch rod, with a decent reel able to be used in saltwater.

A floating line standard, but I'd also bring a full sink to get down to the bottom in the bigger water. Various sinking leaders can handle the rest of the situations.

I don't know when you're out there, but check this out... some excellent casters and very knowledgable local stealheaders http://www.grandriverspey.ca/

All this is assuming you're going to fish the Canadian side of the Lakes.

• 2 weeks later...