Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Challenge #4

Flytyer

Let' start the new year with a different type of challenge: a hackled fly with no bird feathers used for hackle. You can use whatever materials you wish or have on hand except for bird hackle. The fly can be nymph, dry, streamer or any other class of fly you care to try and tie.....I participated in a swap like this awhile back and the results were very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing some interesting creations.

Let's put a due date of Jan. 9 and to enter just post a pic to this thread.

anything other than bird hackle..... so is that jsut rooster schlappen and feathers like that or would palmering marabou be hackle too?

No bird feathers of any kind Max.......this one takes some thought....I know I had fits for awhile for the swap I was in....once you think outside the so called box it's amazing what you can come up with.

iahve soem ideas forsure i jsu twatned too make sure and ask a few questions.. would dubbing brushes be allowed? or concidered? basically anything wrapped that has a stem and fibers coming off either side counts?

As long as nothing from a bird is included in the brush all is good

i have a few ideas.. take a look at your christmas tree.... some real cool stuff too "hackle" streamers n nymphs forsure! wallymart n michaels has tons of cool yarns, tinsels, ropish type stuff aswell...... should have sumn in a day or two forsure!