Fly Fusion Forums

Quetion For The Rod Historians/old Timers!

DonnieM

Hey and Merry Xmas to all!

Quick question, I am currently in Sweden visiting my wifes family(she is swedish obviously) and my father in law just gave me the most awesome xmas present. He was looking around in the attic and came upon all his fathers old fly fishing equipment and since he doesnt fish he has now passed it along to me. There is an amazing rod, which I think is bamboo( Ill post some photos in a day or two once things settle down here after christmas) and its called "King Salmon" or made by a company with that name. The reel that came with it is a Gyro Fly No.53 and looks quite old as well. My question is if anyone knows about either of these companies or has any background info? I dont think its really of any value, just old, but it looks like an old combo package you would find at canadian tire or something along those lines or whatever the Swedish equivelent is of that over here haha. Also gave me some really old fly tying equipment which is quite cool and a handmade fillet knife, and some really really old flies. Overall a great present! Thanks for any info and Merry hoho to all!

Donnie

Hey and Merry Xmas to all!

Quick question, I am currently in Sweden visiting my wifes family(she is swedish obviously) and my father in law just gave me the most awesome xmas present. He was looking around in the attic and came upon all his fathers old fly fishing equipment and since he doesnt fish he has now passed it along to me. There is an amazing rod, which I think is bamboo( Ill post some photos in a day or two once things settle down here after christmas) and its called "King Salmon" or made by a company with that name. The reel that came with it is a Gyro Fly No.53 and looks quite old as well. My question is if anyone knows about either of these companies or has any background info? I dont think its really of any value, just old, but it looks like an old combo package you would find at canadian tire or something along those lines or whatever the Swedish equivelent is of that over here haha. Also gave me some really old fly tying equipment which is quite cool and a handmade fillet knife, and some really really old flies. Overall a great present! Thanks for any info and Merry hoho to all!

Donnie

Hello Donnie,

It is good to hear that some of you visit Scandinavia (I am from Finland).

I do not think you can find info about these old fishing gears. However, you can try some flyfishing clubs in Sweden. There might be some oldie who still remembers the brand (or it might have been bought by another fishing gear manufacturer).

In any case, I am pretty sure you will enjoy the old style and all the knowledge of your wife's ancestors may help your casts.

Tight lines and White Christmas to You!

Cheers! Thanks for all the info guys, you have been a great help. Its been really interesting to track down the history, I may just have to start a collection myself, old rods are absolutely beautiful....but Im not saying Im not in love with my new Sages either though haha. Thanks again!