Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson Gear

birchy

Hey all,

I've recently caught wind of this company from another FFC member. www.amundson.ca

Contemplating trying out one of these reels on my new 6 weight, instead of getting another Trion (i'm a sucker for the "chrome and wood" look). So far, when asking other members for feedback, I've gotten one "yay" and one "nay".

Anyone else have any experience with these reels (or if you'd like to comment on the rods - that's fine too) that they'd like to share?

I see that Brian Niska carries them at Whistler Fly Fishing..

I was in the Whistler fly shop a couple of weeks ago and Brian should me the amundson spey rod. Nice action, great price, however I believe he told me they only had a one year warranty which slightly concerns me. Not sure if that goes for their reels as well. Brian seemed pretty pumped about the rod which leads me to believe they might be worth a try. Sorry no info about the reels.

mkm

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have one of the 3/5 and its great. I use it on my 2 wt but it has tons of drag and a really fast pick up. I have been told that the larger ones grind when you crank down the drag but i have not heard if it is a good reel just that it grinds.

The spools are built really nice with the end cap secured to the spool so it doesnt fall off. I think its only $45 for an extra spool.

The wife is taking me out christmas shoping tommorow so im going to play with the 9/10 if they have one in stock.

i have one of the 3/5 and its great. I use it on my 2 wt but it has tons of drag and a really fast pick up. I have been told that the larger ones grind when you crank down the drag but i have not heard if it is a good reel just that it grinds.

The spools are built really nice with the end cap secured to the spool so it doesnt fall off. I think its only $45 for an extra spool.

The wife is taking me out christmas shoping tommorow so im going to play with the 9/10 if they have one in stock.

Actually found this thread on Fly BC that mentions (buried in the thread a bit) that the 'grinding' issue has been addressed. http://www.flybc.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=13405&hl=

BBT - That is a pretty sweet looking reel!

headscan - Ha! Yeah.. it's a thought. We just signed a 1 year lease on our current place though.. so if we do move, it's a year away at the very minimum. I'm not liking the sound of the fishing in the area though.. based on some of those replies! :) We truly are spoiled rotten here!