Fly Fusion Forums

Cold Feet?

The last couple of trips on the river, my feet were so cold that i almost fell in a couple of times. I picked up a pair of battery heated socks and the feet were good to go all day. The only thing i didn't really like is the battery holder at the top of the sock. I think i will snip the wires and extend it up to the top of my pants.

The last couple of trips on the river, my feet were so cold that i almost fell in a couple of times. I picked up a pair of battery heated socks and the feet were good to go all day. The only thing i didn't really like is the battery holder at the top of the sock. I think i will snip the wires and extend it up to the top of my pants.

Wading Boots too tight, wader neoprene booties too tight, socks cotton..

Bigger boots, Looser Wader booties, change socks to Polyprop socks.

you may have not noticed this stuff in the summer.

I bought a pair of Patagonia Heavyweight Mountaineering socks and they helped a lot. Wool, polypro, Capilene, anything that wicks moisture and avoid cotton. Flyfishfairwx is right about boots being too tight and cutting off circulation. Make sure to keep your core warm too. If your core gets cold, then your body starts reacting by reducing blood circulation to your extremities.

For winter I have both oversize waders and roomier pair of wading boots. I like a light pair of socks with with heavier wool socks over (absolutely no cotton as was said). I often in winter leave the waders at home and opt for warm wool pants and hiking boots. It's an excellent idea to carry a spare pair of socks and change half way through. I aslo cary a full change of clothing in the truck. Electric socks are good but bulky. To me a hat is just as important as waders, and I layer shirts, remembering my vest will also provide some warmth. Don't forget your insides, a nice hot thermos of coffee, has brought many a sigh of satisfaction.

Fuel and hydrate your body it will deal with cold easier. Here's a tip. You can find chemical toe warmers at places like Mountain co-op. Put them under you toes on the outside of your socks in really cold weather.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....845524442541033

The solution... get a spey, and stay on shore :-)

Or like everyone's said... I now use about 3 pairs of socks... normal socks work for me... I don't get too cold... I do make sure one of the pairs is wool, but the other 2 are just regular old socks.. 5 pair / 10 bucks type socks...

Here's my old man's remedy for cold feet......or hands or anything else.

Do jumping jacks and wiggle your toes.

I worked with him out in the bush surveying right out of highschool and as a freezing young lad I'd want to do a jumping jack right into his balls every time he said that. On the other hand it does work.

On a side note you may want to step out of the water before attempting this technique.

I picked up a pair of wader style heated socks with the battery pouch on a longer lead designed

to put into the pouch in my waders. I have yet to use them so no report on how well they work.

I got them at wholesale, I believe they were $5 more than the boot style.

Pretty wussy but my feet get cold and the rest of me is always warm, frustrates the crap out of me.

:angry:

bootfoot waders are truely impressive how warm they are (especially bootfoot's that are breathable)..there is a reason they are usually the choice of guides in northern BC and alaska..

Biggest thing is wearing good under-layers, especially if you're in breathables. If your clothing can't move perspiration away from your body, you will be cold. Being able to wear a next to skin base layer (Simms wader-wear and Patagonia Capilene is truely incredible, and yes there is a difference between the $10 stuff and $60).

Go to Marks and pick-up some good wool socks and a pair of sock liners. Then grab some work boot foot style

hot shots. Put on the sock liners then stick one pad on the top of your toes and one on the bottom. Pull the

heavy wool sock over and repeat withthe other foot. I have fished in January for 7 hours and this set-up works

great.

At Costco, you can buy a box of Hot Hands/Toasty Toes. The toe warmers stick flat on to your feet and keep your toes warm for the day. I use them on the really cold ski days... like this Saturday. I believe it was around $20/box, and you get 20 sets of hand warmers and 20 sets of toe warmers. I've also seen them at WalMart and Canadian Tire before, but for a buck each. Or you can bend over and buy them for $3.50 at the ski hill.