Fly Fusion Forums

Any Rod Builders On The Forum?

With my imminent move to Calgary (Aug. 1st), I was wonder who on the forum builds? I have a feeling that it will be a good winter for me as I will be able to focus on rod building and fly tying for the first time in many years (no darn steelhead to chase!!). I know Don Andersen does some incredible things with cane, but anyone else playing with graphite or cane. I've had a chance to check out a few shops in town and it seems that Fish tales is pretty much the only shop carrying any supplies, does anyone know of any other sops with rod building supplies?

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin

I haven't build any rods in a couple of years, but I usually ordered my supplies from Andy Snedden in Victoria. Great guy and a good selection of stuff. I found him great at matching up components and free with his advice.

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/index.php

Regards Mike

Thanks, I use Andy for a lot of my supplies, he is able to ship same day on most orders so I usually get them the next day.

I still like to touch and see product before I buy though so it is always nice when a shop has stuff on hand (blanks,guides ect.)

Colin

Thanks, I use Andy for a lot of my supplies, he is able to ship same day on most orders so I usually get them the next day.

I still like to touch and see product before I buy though so it is always nice when a shop has stuff on hand (blanks,guides ect.)

Colin

Fishtales is basically it for 'touching' before you buy in Calgary. I've come across some other minimal supplies (Russels) but not worth your time to go check them out (Russels did use to have a box of cork you could go through though).

I get most of my stuff through Andy too, or I order straight from the dealer (ie. Dan Craft and REC). I got three rods I didn't finish this winter and will start up again when the snow falls.

I've dressed a few rods probably about 10 with guides custom handles etc. When I hear a full build I usually associate it with scratch built bamboo rods like Don Anderson does. I usually either order my parts by mail, or buy at the Fly fishing Expo in the spring. Hope someday to get myslelf a bamboo blank. Very satisfying to roll yer own. There is a shop in Kelowna BC that has a lot of rod parts that I always stop at on my way to some Steelheading.