Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Lines

FlashGordon

So I'm looking for the definitions(?)of the different spey lines..uses and characteristics

Traditional

Scandi

Skagit

I would like to hear different peoples views on what works for them cause I don't think most applications are cookie cutter,everyone has different casting styles etc. So feel free to provide input even if you have to repeat something previously mentioned.Talk about running lines and sink tips would fit in here as well.Chopping heads to rods etc ...you name it.

Check out this article and this one for good descriptions of the different line types available.

I prefer a Scandi line for most of my fishing and only use a Skagit when I'm tossing really big uglies or need a fast sinking tip to get down deep in a hurry. I like a mono running line in the summer and the Airflo running line in colder weather because it doesn't coil like mono. Haven't had the need to chop any of my heads to match a specific rod. All of this is personal preference so expect someone else to post the exact opposite. This stuff also depends on where you're planning on fishing and for what.

Hey Gordon,

To be more specific, I will assume that these lines are to be matched too your TFO Pro 6126 Rod. I can tell you what I like, as I also own this same Spey rod...

My recommendations for Traditional mid belly lines, (48'-51' head lengths), would be Rio Windcutter, Airflo 6/7 Delta Spey or CND Gps 5/6.

For Scandi heads (32'-33'), with 10' Polyleaders/tips, I would suggest the Vison Ace 6/7.

Skagit lines for this rod, I would use 400grains - 420 grains, 23'-25' head length, such as the Airflo Skagit Compact, SA Single Hand Skagit, Rio Skagit etc...

All of these lines will perform well on your Spey rod and it is just a matter of personal preference.

thx Gregg ...ya in my case it does apply to my rod but I guess it also about other readers too... ideally I want have minimal gear to fish every application....eg. go from small mayfly spinners to streamers without having a backpack full of spools and lines....

This stuff also depends on where you're planning on fishing and for what.

how about local lakes and rivers

so with traditional you have a set amount of line out...no stripping or shooting...so 'painting' the water or fishing a grid pattern wouldn't apply?

You can still shoot line with traditional lines, but the idea is too match the length of the head to the fishing distances required and avoid/minimize line stripping. As Headscan mentioned, I too find the most use for my Scandi lines, for fishing Lakes, rivers and streams. For the Bow, my Skagit heads get used on very windy days at times and in high water run off in the spring, when using large, heavy flies/sink tips. I like to use mid belly lines for swinging small flies and drys, in the low, clear water conditions of summer/fall fishing and just for the pleasure of casting long lines. The majority of the time, I use my Scandi Heads which easily adapt too the majority of fishing conditions.

Thanks Headscan for posting the first link i lost it a while ago, Way Yin is one of the best fly line designer and great Instructor, i have a beer or two with him (this year cider) at the CLA gamefair, this year Scott and Way did a demo on Speycasting watched by the Queen's hubby prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh.

I think the Duke is getting into Speycasting.

Gordo.