Fly Fusion Forums

Tube Flies

I use and tie them for Steelhead and I have a couple of patterns that I have used with success on the Bow. I like them in a scaled down size for here. Have a couple tied on brass and plastic tubes that sink and have worked well. Playing with some mini-intruders (Bowtruders) over the last couple of years. I'm applying what I have learned to a few new versions for the coming season to work a couple of things out. The positive thing about tubes are the holding power as apposed to long shank hooks. Less chance of a thrown hook and a quicker hookup.

I use and tie then for Steelhead and I have a couple of patterns that I have used with success on the Bow. I like them in a scaled down size for here. Have a couple tied on brass and plastic tubes that sink and have worked well. Playing with some mini-intruders (Bowtruders) over the last couple of years. I'm applying what I have learned to a few new versions for the coming season to work a couple of things out. The positive thing about tubes are the holding power as apposed to long shank hooks. Less chance of a thrown hook and a quicker hookup.

I agree with SilverDoctor, I like how they hook and hold. I mostly use them for pike - something where I need a big fly with a hook at the back of the fly - instead of the middle or front.

Regards,

Tim

they might work great for bull trout also as they tend to hit the tail of streamers often missing the hook.

Not might they do work on bulls very well.....I tied some 8-10 inch long ones for a friend over the past several years and he has done well with them.