Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Tying Challenge #2

Flytyer

Interesting ideas there Karl, go for it, knowing what you're capable of I know they'll turn out well.

It seems that there would be enough interest to do another challenge before Xmas; I'll post the mandatory materials within the next day or two.

Ok it took me a long time to find my peacock herl but here is the first of the two flies I had thought of. Here is the second attempt of this pattern for me I hope it shows the concept.

The Suspending buzzer (a variation of the Suspender Buzzer, pg 106-107, the fly-tying bible, Peter Gathercole):

IMGP1087.JPGIMGP1086.JPG

I tied the in the pearl ice dub like you might tie crystal flash on a streamer fy forming a "V" around the thread. The ice dub becomes becomes gills and a little extra shine on the head. The ribbing doesn't add much but hopefully it will help keep the butt down. and yes I crowded the hook but I tried it and I can still get 4x through the eye, from the bottom up :P