Fly Fusion Forums

Hungry Fella.

Before anyone bitches about the pic, it was eaten within half an hour.

Since it gets dark so damn early these days.... We got into Fossil Lake, near Ft. Good Hope, NWT, and chucked in a line for some supper. First cast, had a fish on. And the third, and the fourth. (Well, didn't really cast for the last two, basically just dropped the hook into the water while handing off the net) Netted the second, and passed it off. Got a third, enough nice sized pike for 3 guys for supper. Set up the stove, etc. while the fish were being cleaned, when I heard "Come look at this" I'm not sure how big the pike in the pic was, nothing huge for sure, but it had eaten the smaller one whole. A fillet knife was holding up the smaller on the log. The pike in that lake were some of the most aggressive I've ever seen, I saw a small one taken by one only a few inches longer, by the tail, hauled off to the depths. After supper and a whiskey, we continued throwing lures of all sorts, spoons, surface poppers, etc. to them, and lost count of the number released. I had an 8 wt with me, streamers worked great also. I noticed no other species in the lake, I'm sure they wouldn't last long if there were. Seemed as though they fed largely on each other as they got bigger, a walk near the waterline would scare smaller pike away from shore where I'm sure they hid from the big boys.

post-1598-1227660972.jpg

ahhh how dare u!!!! JJ DOPE PIC!!!!! seen that before.. small walleye whitties perch mice and ducklings too! i love pike.. got teh pike crazies now forsure! spent a few days this year skippin out on hungry trout too hunt pike! seen a pic a while back with a full grown mallard in a pikes belly.. blew my mind....

I had it happen to me more times this summer then I remember, usually once every couple days, some days 3 or 4 times a day. Reeling up a small or lots of times even not so small walleye or pike and having a much bigger fish follow it right to the boat and more often then not taking a wack at it right at the boat. Alot of times the guests will try to set the hook on it, not that there is a hook in the bigger pikes mouth to set, and they end up breaking the line off, which means a nice meal for the pike. In fact, the biggest walleye I pulled up this summer with teeth marks around its back was 25". I also had quit a few big pike in the boat with tails still sticking out of there mouths. Ferocious eaters them fish are.

IMG_4802.jpg

No kidding, I've pulled up a few good size pike with teeth marks a good bit wider than the back of my hand right behind the head..

One of the days I was guiding, we were drifting our way through the bay that I put my biggest fish of the summer in the boat in last year and we notice a fish floating dead on the water. As we drift closer we decided to go over and take a look at see how big it was. When we got there we realized that the fish wasnt dead at all but another fish of equal size had the fish T boned across the back. The one was floating like it was dead belly up and the other one was completely vertical in the water hanging onto it. One of the guys grabbed his rod and tapped the fish that had the other one by its back on the head with his rod tip. The fish let go and slowly swam away, while the other fish floated there for a while before turning back right side up and also swam away. One of the weirdest things I have seen, and given the fact that these fish were'nt small either, we figured around 42"