Fly Fusion Forums

Gps Question

mkm

I have been recently considering picking up a GPS for fishing in the back country. I don't know much about the different GPS units available and was wondering what to look for. I have heard some units can lose their signal in the mountains and this would really concern me. One unit which looks good is the Garmin 60cx but it also carries a price tag over $300. Also, with GPS is it possible to download routes and points onto a computer or enter in extra info (e.g. weather conditions or date and time)? THanks for your input.

mkm

I have been recently considering picking up a GPS for fishing in the back country. I don't know much about the different GPS units available and was wondering what to look for. I have heard some units can lose their signal in the mountains and this would really concern me. One unit which looks good is the Garmin 60cx but it also carries a price tag over $300. Also, with GPS is it possible to download routes and points onto a computer or enter in extra info (e.g. weather conditions or date and time)? THanks for your input.

mkm

I have the older Legend Cx and it is great but does lose the signal if you are in forest. If you can find a clearing, the signal if fine - in the mountains or out of them. My Brother In law just got the new garmin (I think it is the 60 Cx) and it gets it's signal far faster and seems to be much better at keeping the signal in the trees.

Colour screen is a must and see if you can find one pre-loaded with the Canada West topo map - it is pricey but the device is pretty much useless without it. You can download routes, link to google earth, and the device will store all of the tracks you have taken in the memory. I use the Energizer lithium batteries in it and carry and extra set. The lithium AAs are lighter and last a long long time. I also have a compass in my watch as a back-up but have never needed it. Most common use for me is to keep track of how far I've wandered up a river or creek so that I can estimate when I should turn around and head back, and marking spots where I catch fish on a lake - this is really useful.

All in all - a great piece of kit to have. Most often don't even need it, but just knowing you have it will allow you to wonder off into forest that you would never even think of without one. Sort of like Bear Spray - may never need it, but makes you feel better to have it.

I use mine quite a bit to mark access points, and sometimes decent spots on the water. It's an older Garmin etrex Venture, doesn't have much in the way of features. Its small and pretty water resistant, we used 2 identical ones when we did the Mackenzie river last year with no issues (one for backup) Didn't really need them to find our way, but to roughly calculate a distance to the next town, etc, or to be able to give a location in case of an emergency. I do believe some of the newer ones have a different antenna that picks up signal better in overhead cover, Lorney's does I'm pretty sure, and a built in 2 way. I'm not really up to date on new technology or features, but as was said about bear spray, good to have for sure. My memory can be great or terrible, so I mark waypoints just in case, mostly for future reference.

I HAD the Garmin 60CX it was really good the software ran great on my PC and used it pretty heavily.... then I lost it DAMN. I am pretty proficent with a compass but there is nothing like having the tracking abilities of the GPS. I found several times after doing a trip review that I could plan better routes next time.

I picked up a Magellan eXplorist XL not to long ago. Found out afterwards, from a geocacher, that I should have gotten one with an external antenna because of the lost signal issue you mentioned. Good unit, had to buy the unlock for the maps though.

I've used to to track my route from a known location (ie parking lot) to where I'm going. Then I can tell it to backtrack the route so I can find my way back out. You can also mark a good spot as a point of interest & save it's location so you can find it again. Or set up your route on the computer & upload it to the GPS unit.

I live in Canmore & have spent quite a bit of time in the backcountry around here & so far haven't lost the signal...yet.