Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River

I'm thinking about coming down to Calgary on Sunday and doing a little nymphing. I was thinking about somewhere fishcreekish? What areas are open and what areas are closed??? I find that the fishing regs aren't really clear. For instance, on the far upstream side of fishcreek park on the west side of the river, you can't cross that side channel/creek and fish off of the island can you? It's a reserve or something? Is that in the regs? Where is a good place to start for this time of year?

Anyway, if someone could even PM me and let me know a general area that I could at least start from that would be swell. Something a bit more specific than "in the water," but not necessarily as specific as "after the last tree, take 5 large steps 30 degrees north, 15 smaller steps due South, tie on a # 20 prince-nymph with one white biot and the other a light tan. Cast upstream at a 40 degree angle with 15 feet of line and hold on," although I wouldn't be complaining about exact location either. I'm just looking for a little help.

Also, I've been seeing on here that most are catching fish on snow-cones, and other small nymphs? Is this where I should start? Do you guys put the weight at the bottom of your 2 fly rigs or above the flies?

Cheers.

from the weir by downtown calgary to bears paw damn is closed

hwy 24 to the carsland weir is closed

tie your weights above the flies but if you're on bottom i think that's most important

beadhead prince,evil weevil,copper john,boatman,red ice cream cone or midge pattern......to name a few

no expert but these should be a good start....i know the bird sanctuary is closed for walking and wading...it's easy to see on an online map...other than that she should be wide open

i hope someone will correct me if i'm wrong

from the weir by downtown calgary to bears paw damn is closed

hwy 24 to the carsland weir is closed

tie your weights above the flies but if you're on bottom i think that's most important

beadhead prince,evil weevil,copper john,boatman,red ice cream cone or midge pattern......to name a few

no expert but these should be a good start....i know the bird sanctuary is closed for walking and wading...it's easy to see on an online map...other than that she should be wide open

i hope someone will correct me if i'm wrong

where did you learn the main channel of the bird sanctury is closed to walking and wading? not saying its a bad idea to have it closed.

arrows.giffrom the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes

500 m of the Highwood River) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (SE12-24-1-W5) – All waters, including back and side channels within the Bird Sanctuary and not including the main channel of the Bow River – CLOSED.

policemans is popen... iceman u gotta be kidding..... hot nymphs ofr me right now area red or black midges.. dotn halfto be snowcones... any midge works, princes hares ears and phtails copper johns or whatever are working good too..... same with stones, juans, leeches etc... the tough part abtou this time of year is finding the thermoclyne in some buckets n wahtnot were fish are stacked up thick... so work the water fast and if you found a couple u should be into a few dozen no problem.... streamers ahve ibn great for me in th eveenings aswell...

where did you learn the main channel of the bird sanctury is closed to walking and wading? not saying its a bad idea to have it closed.

arrows.giffrom the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes

500 m of the Highwood River) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.

Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (SE12-24-1-W5) – All waters, including back and side channels within the Bird Sanctuary and not including the main channel of the Bow River – CLOSED.

guess the bird sanctuary isn't closed to walking and wading...I looked at those regs and got hung up on the stuff that was closed so I asked someone....prbly a misunderstanding.

giddy-up

from ehat ive heard u cannot walk n wade the bird sanctuary.. but u can float on by.. teh main channel by fishcreek is open too fish teh u cannot walk on the island there is signs all over the place.. some rare bird uses it too nest this n that so ive gotten yelled at form teh fishcop once.. he said i can walk on teh rocks along the shoreline tho....